What's the best oil for me to use at 98,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Jeep Cherokee with the 4 liter inline 6 cylinder engine. It's got 98,000 miles on it with cheap dino oil...and the previous owner didn't change it very often. What is the best oil you suggest I use for this engine?

Thanks!

pennzoil high milage 10w30 it is a bit thicker and when i hit the 100,000 mile mark on my vehicle it seemed to actually help quiet it down a bit and it ran smoother at idle.

Also if you havent yet may want to think about flushing your engine. alot of people on this board like auto rx. I personally used gunk 5 minute flush let it idle 10 minutes instead of the 5 and did an oil change directly after that. I then ran it about 100 miles and did another oil change with fresh filter of course. this was just to make sure i got as much of the debris and build up as possible. since then my vehicle runs great cooler, and a bit more power

The 4.0L is a great engine. I've used many types of oil..... so far, Chevron Supreme makes it drive the best. Pennzoil seemed good but Mobil Drive Clean PLus lost that fresh oil change feeling soon after it was put in. It did clean it out like its name suggests. The oil was black after 3K miles. I'm gonna do an Auto-RX treatment, my Jeep was female owned previously and with no maintanence records... can't take a chance. It's been great but i think its been dealer maintained and Jeep dealers are known as the stealership to us Jeep enthusists.

Or spend $20.00 on gaskets, drop the oil pan and clean it out along with the rocker cover.
While your at it replace the stock oil pump with a better one, fill it up with 15W40 and have some fun with the vehicle.
Spend the rest of your money on 10 ply tires.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
I have a Jeep Cherokee with the 4 liter inline 6 cylinder engine. It's got 98,000 miles on it with cheap dino oil...and the previous owner didn't change it very often. What is the best oil you suggest I use for this engine?

Thanks!

1. A 5w-40 or 15w-40 HDEO (Dependent upon your cold-weather conditions) - Unless you're planning on doing an ARX rinse or something of the sort, this is the best bet for your application.
2. An oversized filter - For sure, if the previous owner did not change the oil much, there will be a good deal of deposits in the engine.

Recommend a larger filter simply because of its capability to hold more contaminants before the need for a change. I believe the Jeep can run a FL-1A, ST8A, or L30001 (etc, etc...) sized filter.

I also recommend a 15W-40 oil like Mobil1 Delvac 1300s, Pennzoil Long Life 15W-40, Chevron Delo 15W-40 or Shell Rotella T 15W-40. It seems the 4.0 likes a heavier weight oil than the 10W-30 DC specs for it. The best UOA's on the 4.0 here have been with a 40W oil. FL-1A, ST8A, or L30001 are acceptable filters for the 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back