Whats the best Oil for BMW in hot a country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys ... been searching the net but havent found any luck yet ... Hopefully someone can point me in the right directions :)

My 1st question would be:

1) In the motor oil packaging it states as 0W-30 or 0W-40 ... Now what does 0W means??? Does it mean the oil have zero viscocity at cold temperature? or does it mean it's suitable and better for cold application than 5W, 10W and so on???

2)For a hot tropical country such as Malaysia what would be the suitable oil for M54 engine (with less than 50k miles) 0W-30, 5W30 or 0W-40?

3) is it true that 0W-XX at low temps it is thin where by it takes less pressure needed (and faster) to get the oil into circulation and easier to get into tiny spaces in the engine during cold start-ups.
Any help rendered is appreciated ... thanks :)

Last edited:
Oil that meets ACEA A3,B3 and LL01. You don't need a 0W 0il so look for any 5W40, 5W50 or 10W50. If you can get Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, Pennzoil Platinum 'Euro' 5W40, Mobil 1 5W50, Elf Excellium 10W50, Havoline synthetic 10W50, Penrite etc.

Thanks very much but I do know about those standards ... I need someone that can answer my question on the 1st post.

0W is thinner at cold temperatures than 5W, 10W etc. The lower the number the thinner it is at low temperatures. In Malaysia, there would be no real advantage to 0W compared to the others.

How hot does it normally get there and how much sustained high speed driving can you do there?

I doubt that it gets hotter than parts of the Southwestern US and ordinary viscountcies work just fine there. Humidity doesn't matter for oil temperature.

Thanks very much for clarifying my questions :D If 0W is thinner than 5W then would it be safe to assume that with 0W the thin oil would get the oil into circulation faster and easier to get into tiny spaces in the engine during cold start-ups since it needs less pressure needed for circulation?
In malaysia on a hot day the average temp is around 88-95 degree Fahrenheit

Originally Posted By: B33MER
If 0W is thinner than 5W then would it be safe to assume that with 0W the thin oil would get the oil into circulation faster and easier to get into tiny spaces in the engine during cold start-ups

Yes, but we're talking about temperatures of -20C - -30C. The cold start-ups in your climate aren't anywhere close to it, so it would probably not matter.

My best advice would be to use the oil that meets the engine manufacturer's specs (LL01) and don't worry about the grades too much. FYI, when I was living in Florida, I was using Syntec GC 0w-30 in my M54 without any problems.

Yes, 0W will circulate faster than 5W on cold engine starts. Stick with Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol Edge 5W-40 and you'll be just fine. Both meet BMW LL specs.

Thanks very much for the answer :D Yup Castrol Syntec is like an elixir for M54 engines from what i have read at bimmerforums and bimmerfest tho in M'sia getting one is nigh on the impossible ... I'm currently using Havoline 5W-30 which is much better than Castrol edge 5W-40 ...

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Yes, 0W will circulate faster than 5W on cold engine starts. Stick with Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol Edge 5W-40 and you'll be just fine. Both meet BMW LL specs.

Thanks very much for the answer ... i have tried Castrol Edge 5W-40 but it's a bit thick for my liking ... tho Mobil 1 i have nothing but hear good praise about it and heard it's the lighter side of 30 (is this true?) ... Will give Mobil 1 a try on my next oil change :D

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XS650
0W is thinner at cold temperatures than 5W, 10W etc. The lower the number the thinner it is at low temperatures. In Malaysia, there would be no real advantage to 0W compared to the others.

How hot does it normally get there and how much sustained high speed driving can you do there?

I doubt that it gets hotter than parts of the Southwestern US and ordinary viscountcies work just fine there. Humidity doesn't matter for oil temperature.

Nice post... Well said
You could stay with 0W30 or 0W40 (I like that one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back