What's The Best "High Miles" Oil>???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some have suggested I try one of these specialty brews, since my Vic Interceptor's bad valve stem seals, has me using a quart every couple/three weeks.
frown.gif

I saw a magazine article, where Valvoline was claiming to have invented and mastered the "needs of older engines" with their version.

Any opinion on the best "High Mileage" oil???
confused.gif
Thanks...
smile.gif

Read the banner ad. Seriously, I've been happy with my GTX-HM performance. Havoline + ARX is probally the ticket.

I tried Castrol High Mileage and it did nothing for oil consumption. You might consider fixing the problem if you intend keeping the car. That's the conclusion I've come to. Otherwise, who cares?

Valvoline High Mileage Oil is very good, and would rank among the best. I don't think you can go wrong by choosing it.

However, why not just fix the seals on the valve stems? That really is not a major job, and it is certainly doable by most DIY standards. You might want to ask the guys over at CrownVic.net for their thoughts.

quote:

Originally posted by vizvo:
That really is not a major job, and it is certainly doable by most DIY standards. You might want to ask the guys over at CrownVic.net for their thoughts.

Fixing the valve stem seals IS a major job on the Crown Vics, trust me. I opted to replace the entire engine in my 2000 CVPI rather than fix the valve stem seals. The labor was about the same.

Ulver, I'd give ARX a shot. It really can't hurt and you'd only be out $25 or so. However, I doubt ARX will fix this problem.

Paul, I think dark dan used the Auto-RX and it helped his Vic.

My '96 Vic is supposed to have the "revised" valve stem seats, but it still consumes oil between 600-1100 miles/qt depending on oil used.

In my experience with my Vic, here is a list from memory of oils and their repective consumption in my Vic. I excluded oil when the Vic did not consume oil or when it first started to consume. List comes from period between 100-150k miles. 85/15 city/hiway driving, SoTx heat and no "winter".

M1 5-30 600 miles/qt
ST 5(10)-30 500-600 miles/qt
MoCraft 5-30 600-800 miles/qt
ValMaxLifeDino 5(10)-30 700-900 miles/qt
ValMaxlifeSyn 5-30 1000-1100 miles/qt

take it for what it is worth

I have like the MaxLife Syn the best, but it was on sale for $1.75/qt avg and it has the least consumption for my Vic.

I'm running Havoline HM 10/30 right now in my 1997 Tbird (similar 4.6L as in a vic), and it sounds wonderful, with no consumption. This is my 1st run with Hav-HM, and I think this will always go in for the 6 summer months from now on...

Thanks as usual guys... I did the ARX thingy last year. Although it did displace a lot of crud, the seal problem remained.
dunno.gif
Oh well. It was still worth it.

I was told the cost of replacing the seals, was close to $700. You can buy a lot of oil for that.

I want a newer pony anyway, so I think I will just keep throwing a quart in her, although maybe not GC or Royal Purple.

It's hard to ditch even an 11 year old car, when it runs fine, and the interior is still 90%+. With good care, I have been told 160K isn't the end of the 4.6's life, even with the stem seal problem. So, I guess I will keep those spare quarts in the trunk for a while.
wink.gif

"It's hard to ditch even an 11 year old car, when it runs fine, and the interior is still 90%+. With good care, I have been told 160K isn't the end of the 4.6's life, even with the stem seal problem. So, I guess I will keep those spare quarts in the trunk for a while. "
============================================================

I like that plan.

Thats the plan I've been sticking with. I have a 1990 Mazda 929S that has 230,000+ miles on it... I have no idea what the actual mileage is because the speedo quit working. I determine my speed by engine RPM. (The tach still works) I'm using 10w40, and last time just used Havoline 10w40. It is consuming a bit, not quite a quart in 3000 miles, but as long as you keep an eye on it, you should be fine -- I have no intention on replacing the seals in this one, just gonna drive it till it dies.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
"It's hard to ditch even an 11 year old car, when it runs fine, and the interior is still 90%+. With good care, I have been told 160K isn't the end of the 4.6's life, even with the stem seal problem. So, I guess I will keep those spare quarts in the trunk for a while. "
============================================================

I like that plan.

+1
They are hard to kill short of
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Maxlife Synthetic is the best high mileage oil, as it is the only full synthetic HM oil.

The Walmart Supertech Synthetic 10W30 is advertised as a High Mileage Formula also. On the back of the bottle it says it has seal conditioners and extra additives for Higher Mileage vehicles. Runs about $12 for a 5 quart jug, so may be worth a look if you want a group 3 synth in a HM formula. Most of the UOA's have been pretty good as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back