Whats the best engine oil ?????!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Polling opinion on what is the very best engine oil available ?
My particular interest is in the high performance synthetics as I run a Mitsubishi Evo 6 here in the UK.This is a highly tuned & turbo charged performance car. Currently I use Redline 10w30 , and although I did my research and am pretty confident with this stuff , I would appreciate the oppinions of others.

Yeah I know !! It would be interesting to hear what u guys have to say tho ! I mean I see Redline getting a lot of sniping here , is this because they r so good , or , overhyped ?! I would imagine that the subject has been covered b4 here , so let me know the threads if possible please ?

Redline is a great oil especially if not used on SUPER long intervals. You can abuse the oil all day long and it will hold up fine. It apparently acts like higher viscosity oil in places and works very well in racing situations or very "active" driving. If you are happy with your current oil you should be just fine. Motul and Amsoil are also very good at this time.

German Castrol is the best . . .
grin.gif

Castor oil is the best....

Plenty of EVO and Scoobie guys in Aus and the UK use Motul with great success. If I were able to get it (since its not available yet in SA) I'd use that. The 300v is premo stuff.
thumbsup.gif

Wots the thing with German Castrol ??
Castor !!!! Argggh , u can't b serious ??!! I have respect for Motul , having used it in bikes.
3 in 1 , LOL , I like it !!!
BTW , I'm not a fan of extended OCI's , I'm convinced thats just marketing s**t. The Evo has it's oil dropped every 4500 miles , as per service spec. I know it's only subjective , but the Redline looks like it cud do that 3 times over when it's drained. Must have an analysis done sometime.
Do u guys have one of our homebrews in the USA , Morris oil ?? I use it in my diesel Citroen daily driver. The Evo is my toy !

Nothing wrong with Redline. But with a 4500 mile OCI any available decent synthetic will be fine.

As for:
Quote:

I'm not a fan of extended OCI's , I'm convinced thats just marketing s**t

Where'd you come up with this gem? Actually to some in the USA 4500 miles is an extended OCI! My tuned turbo turned 10K mile OCI's until I sold it at 270,000 miles. No sludge, no grit, no death. Marketing caca to sell less oil! Works for me.
grin.gif
banana.gif

Just my oppinion , u know , freedom of speech last time I checked !!! I should have made it clearer , not oil company marketing , but car manufacturers trying to convince buyers that there product needs less servicing !

My contention is that frequent oil changes are the most effective form of preventative maintenance.

LOL !!! But isn't that necessary or even vital maintenance ???!!!
BTW , I should have made that oil & FILTER changes .........

Of course you are entitled to your opinion - I wasn't trying to take that away from you! But explaining your perspective from that POV adds more info. to the discussion. Indeed, some car mfr's have overstated the bounds in the past - simply for bragging rights. Some could have done fine with it - by specifying synthetic oil.
smile.gif

Wasn't there an American engine that had 100,000 mile major servicing or something like that ? Northstar seem's familiar ?

Motul,Fuchs Titan,Mobil-1,Penrite,Elf,ESSO,Redline,Neo,Amsoil etc... all make wounderful product and I doubt that anyone could realy make a claim that one is head and shoulders better then the rest.

I've used Mobil, Amsoil, GC, and Royal Purple. I think for your application - German Castrol or Amsoil would be best. Not sure about ordering from Amsoil overseas but - maybe you have some GC over there. GC is a heavy 30 weight oil so your turbo engine should like that. Other than that, Amsoil is my preference (I'm using it now) as they have Group V oils (don't have to worry about it having Group III) and they stand by their warranty. Get their preferred customer program and you can buy Amsoil 5w30 full synthetic for less than Mobil or Castrol.

If cost isn't an issue - Redline seems to be the favorite amongst a lot of people. I know several BMW M5 owners who swear by Redline. I haven't tested it tho as it is out of my $$$ range (I saw it for $11/qt).
smile.gif

I highly recommend testing oils as I found my engine idles/revs differently with each oil (I've used Mobil, Amsoil, and GC). Each engine is different right? So one oil for all engines is not applicable. GET A UOA (used oil analysis) as that will tell you what is going on inside your engine more than any "feeling" or "sound" will.

patriot.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

Get their preferred customer program and you can buy Amsoil 5w30 full synthetic for less than Mobil or Castrol.

I've got a question for ya,whats involved in getting into the preferred customer program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back