What's the best 5-30 dino for winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil Multigrade 5W30. It has a pour point of -44 below zero and a borderline pumpability of close to -35 below zero.
This is a very good value, for the price of a mineral and a very good performer.

Good Day,
Steven

What kind of car/engine will you be running this in?

Frankly, I've been impressed with most of the UOAs turned in with the 5w-20 oils. The Motorcraft/Conoco synblend seems to be the best. If you change every 3000 and you have a tight tolerance engine these might be the ticket.
dunno.gif

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

It's a 2.0L DOHC ZETEC in a FOrd ZX2. I've always changed oil 3000 to 3500 miles. I never thought of 5-20W. I know ford now recomends this oil in my engine. When I bought the car it said 5-30W

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Nothing wrong with Chevron Supreme

I switched from Chevron Supreme to Pennzoil because Chevron changed its pour point to -27f or something like that.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Nothing wrong with Chevron Supreme

I switched from Chevron Supreme to Pennzoil because Chevron changed its pour point to -27f or something like that.

I'm sure you realize this-but pour point isn't a realoly useful indicator. At -27F you will be spinning bearings
smile.gif

But at -27 Chevron isn't even pouring, and the Pennzoil pumps down to -35 with a pour of -44. Mobil 1 pours at -45.

Last year's Chevron book shows 5W20 and 5W30 supreme with a pour point of -45F, and 10w30 at -36F.
The 5W30 synthetic at -62F, and 0W30 Delo at -76F, with the 5W40 Delo at -45F.
PC's Duron 5W40 is a little lower at -54F.
At those temperatures....I'm stayin' inside.

This new 5W-20 is insane! EPA ratings are what this is all about. I mean what about when the engine gets hot, don't you want some viscosity then? What are you in the arctic circle?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Holden McRoin:
This new 5W-20 is insane! EPA ratings are what this is all about. I mean what about when the engine gets hot, don't you want some viscosity then? What are you in the arctic circle?
dunno.gif

Holden,

I understand you're a newbie here, but do a little more research before you make a statement like that.

BTW, I use 15w-40, so obviously I'm not a fan of 5w-20, but you don't see me bashing them either...they do have their place, and analysis shows this.

Being new to this site doesn't mean I'm sitting on my shoulders!
Many of these "studies" are commisioned by mfg. companies and not to be trusted. At least you're smart enough not be using this nonsense yourself.
I'm of the opinion that even 5W-30 is an attempt to impress the EPA regulators. And that in the vast majority of cases is NOT what people should run "all season" as suggested by certain auto makers.
nono.gif

[ November 13, 2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Holden McRoin ]

quote:

Originally posted by Tubescreamer:
I'm thinking of Mobil drive clean or chevron
what do you think??

I would go with Havoline. I have used Havoline for years with no mechanical engine problems.

Jeff

When Ford speced 5w-20, they doubled the requirements from their previous 5w-30 tests. It was like a 60 hr stress test at some unreal temps, which was pushed to 120 hrs. My F150 was speced and filled with 5w-20, but as many people here think, I'm still unwilling to fill my crankcase with anything thinner than a 5w-30.

Don't bash it though. If a V-10 can get exeptional UOAs with it, towing no less, I think we all have something to learn.

Between the two you mention, I'd take the Chevron.

I've lost interest in Pour Point as a useful indicator of cold weather performance.

In order to qualify as a 5w, the oil must pass a Cold Crank Simulator Test at -30F and a Borderline Pumping Test at -35F. Period.

Notice that even with a pour point of -27 F, the Chevron still carries the same 5w rating, meaning it still passes those tests.

Now, Pennzoils numbers in passing those tests may be better, but the Chevron still passes.

Anyways, reality is that 99% of people will never see temps that cold anyways. I know we see them here in Minnesota, but then I still use Havoline 5w20 (which provided the quietest start I can remember at -13 F last week).

Mobil Drive Clean is a good oil also. I've used it with all my vehicles, and have never had a problem with it. Wal-mart carries it for $1.00
a quart, and sometimes you see it on sale at Target, K-mart, etc. I have used several name brand oils over the years, and have never had a problem with any of them. Chevron Supreme is also a good oil, but isn't carried in some of the same stores that carry most other brands. The most important thing IMO, is to change your oil regularly.

Ronnie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back