What's simply the best oil for florida weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I saw this website at 3si.org and ptcruiserlinks.com so I thought I'd see what people over here have to say.

On my Dodge Stealth SOHC 3.0 V6 I have switched from 10w 30 to 20w 50 half synth oil from Castrol I think. The manually says you can use it and since it never gets cold here I figured it would be better than normal conventional oil.

My mom just bought a new PT Cruiser GT, 2.4 turbocharged 4 cyclinder engine. Everyone seems to be changing the stock oil at around 1000-1500 miles to full synthetic.

Out of these 2 cars which do you guys think would be the best?

My car has some serious blackness on the dipstick(STEALTH) and it was because I was losing some serious oil from the valve seals and I was running the car with very little oil in it for a little while. It ran fine, but obviously I don't recommend running a car with such little oil. I saw none at all on the dipstick.

I just ordered some AutoRX from everyone's recommendations and I'm hoping that the engine can clean itself up a bit. Even after an oil change the oil doesn't look nearly as clean as the PT's brand new engine, which almost looks like water, it's so clear. Obviously it's got some sludge and deposits, so Auto RX should really help me out there.

I was thinking Amsoil for me, since I don't have to worry about warranties, but Mobil 1 SS is looking pretty good.

Tell me what you think.

quote:

Originally posted by Bob B.:

Out of these 2 cars which do you guys think would be the best?

My car has some serious blackness on the dipstick(STEALTH) and it was because I was losing some serious oil from the valve seals and I was running the car with very little oil in it for a little while. It ran fine, but obviously I don't recommend running a car with such little oil. I saw none at all on the dipstick.

I just ordered some AutoRX from everyone's recommendations and I'm hoping that the engine can clean itself up a bit. Even after an oil change the oil doesn't look nearly as clean as the PT's brand new engine, which almost looks like water, it's so clear. Obviously it's got some sludge and deposits, so Auto RX should really help me out there.

I was thinking Amsoil for me, since I don't have to worry about warranties, but Mobil 1 SS is looking pretty good.

Tell me what you think.

Hi,

For your Stealth I would suggest Delvac 1
5W-40 or Mobil 1 15W-50 after your Auto-RX
treatment. Hopefully, it's not too late.

crushedcar.gif

Hopefully, you've learned that Castrol Syntec
is Group III highly hydro-cracked base stock
and not PAO. So, it does not stay in grade as
well as Mobil 1. So, Mobil 1 is the right
choice for you. Amsoil is excellent also, but
it is somewhat more difficult to find and more
expensive.

For your mother's car, I recommend Mobil 1
10W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40. Either should serve
her needs well.

cheers.gif

Jae

[ April 06, 2003, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: J ]

Don't take this the wrong way -The quantity of oil is far more imnportant than the type of oil. Hook up with Bobistheoilguy.

Well, I am going to put Mobil 1 10w 30 into the PT cruiser Turbo as soon as I can find a case of it.

I might just use that as well in the Stealth, since I know that it's good, but if I am burning less oil than I was before, then I might spring for some Amsoil and leave that in for 12k miles with their oil filter. Although I'm only going to do that if my engine is cleaned out by the AutoRx because otherwise it's pointless to run Amsoil into a dirty *** engine, I assume. I really just want to avoid having oil changes every 3 months or 3k miles and Amsoil seems to be the way to go in that catagory. I would not wait 25,000 miles though, no way. It would have to look as clean as the day I pout it in for me to not have it changed.

quote:

Originally posted by Bob B.:

I really just want to avoid having oil changes every 3 months or 3k miles and Amsoil seems to be the way to go in that catagory.

Why change your oil every 3k or 3-mo. except to put money into the oil companies pockets? If you make a couple of short, cold drives each day, OK. Otherwise, why change your oil so soon?

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back