What's reputed to be the best conventional oil now

Status
Not open for further replies.
For general use in modern passenger cars? Whatever name brand oil is currently on sale. Performance applications? Valvoline VR1. Flat tappet? Most diesel oils will work.

Last edited:
Based on opinion and perception among my friends and family...

1. Castrol GTX
2. Valvoline
3. Pennzoil
4. Quaker State

Interestingly, in my experience, the people I know that are gear heads and automotive enthusiasts almost always choose Castrol GTX with Valvoline at a very close second.

The people who aren't almost universally choose Pennzoil or Quaker State.

Originally Posted By: Darren270
Based on opinion and perception among my friends and family...

1. Castrol GTX
2. Valvoline
3. Pennzoil
4. Quaker State

Interestingly, in my experience, the people I know that are gear heads and automotive enthusiasts almost always choose Castrol GTX with Valvoline at a very close second.

The people who aren't almost universally choose Pennzoil or Quaker State.

gotta give credit to marketing lol

Originally Posted By: k1rod
I am not asking what is the best oil. I understand how subjective that is. I am not asking what is the best reputed synth oil as that will just start a flame war amongst the Amsoil folks, the Mobil 1 faction and the rest.

When I was growing up as as a kid in the late 70's, the oil everybody I knew, thought was the be all and end all of motor oil, was Castrol GTX. Before that, my dads generation thought Quaker State was the best. What does the general motoring public think it is now? I am not asking about how right or wrong they may be, I am just wondering what the perception is?

Most 5W-30 dinos are of low-quality but Toyota 5W-30 dino did surprisingly well in these tests:

http://bmwservice.livejournal.com/27699.html

My vote goes for Toyota dino (made by ExxonMobil).

Anything with this symbol on the bottle:

API%20Starburst%201%20copy.png

I'll admit that I prefer to use whatever house brand oil is on sale. Whether its NAPA, AAP, Super Tech, Autozone, etc....
Thats conventional AND synthetic. Based on everything I've seen, for my 6mo/5000mi interval they are all good.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
I'll admit that I prefer to use whatever house brand oil is on sale. Whether its NAPA, AAP, Super Tech, Autozone, etc....
Thats conventional AND synthetic. Based on everything I've seen, for my 6mo/5000mi interval they are all good.

I know it must be a mental thing, But I just cant bring myself to use house brand oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back