What's reputed to be the best conventional oil now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Formula Shell, is a fine oil that I would assume falls in the quality class of most SOPUS products Pennz, QS, and FS. They are all great brands. A question like that is almost impossible to answer. Most oils have some give and take, it is what you like the best ie. NOACK, Vis., Additives etc.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If you are going by sales, Pennzoil by a good margin. Pennzoil has been the number one selling PCMO in the USA since 1985. The last sales report I saw, which was back in December had them ranked by sales volume, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol, then all the rest.

To give you an idea of how much Pennzoil is sold every year, the volume exceeds both Quaker State and Valvoline put together.

I'm surprised that Valvoline is 3rd on the list. Seems like Castrol would outsell Valvoline.

In general, I like Valvoline better than Castrol. Castrol is overhyped.

Last edited:
Just check the very recent voa of 5-30 Mobil Super 5000 and look at what happened to this oil
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
On paper, I would choose Mobil Clean 5000 or Exxon Superflo.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html

1 . Pennzoil Yellow Bottle
2 . Mobil Super 5000
3 . Quaker State Green Bottle
4 . Valvoline White Bottle
5 . Castrol GTX
Honorable Mention : Formula Shell , Chevron Supreme

Originally Posted By: Capa
I thought we at BITOG understood that there wasn't a best oil
wink.gif

If its GF-5/SN there is not. It comes down to personal preferance.

Quote:
I'm surprised that Valvoline is 3rd on the list. Seems like Castrol would outsell Valvoline.

In general, I like Valvoline better than Castrol. Castrol is overhyped.

I worked at an auto parts store in the midwest during 1995. We could barely keep up with the demand for Valvoline.

I think the thing people from the coasts forget is the Midwest doesn't have the strongest presence from Shell Oil. Not until the last 5-10 years when Texaco when converted to Shell did we have any local Shell stations. However, we have plenty of Valvoline Instant Oil Change places and SuperAmerica (Speedway) which at one time were owned by Ashland Oil.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Just check the very recent voa of 5-30 Mobil Super 5000 and look at what happened to this oil
cry.gif

I don't see what you are talking about...

Originally Posted By: LunerEclipse
Working at AAP i'll have to say PYB......We can almost barely keep that stuff stocked!!! Whether it's on sale or not, it by far out sales the rest. At least in my store....

Good information!

Ok go to the voa section on the Mobil 5-30 SN and notice the difference in the Sm version which you are mentioning, and the new SN flavor. They reduced almost everything added cheapo sodium and did away with moly.The oil that was SM and the oil that is SN is only VOA data and who knows how well it performs. But at $11.50 it is priced right with that add pack. I think Super Tech dino has a similar add pack. Went from a great value to a so so oil. Add pack speaking. I know Valvoline whit bottle has a similar add pack and most love it so go figure.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
cry.gif

I don't see what you are talking about...

Some people seem to have skipped right over the subject line and opening post of this thread, and are instead answering "What's your favorite conventional oil?"

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If you are going by sales, Pennzoil by a good margin. Pennzoil has been the number one selling PCMO in the USA since 1985. The last sales report I saw, which was back in December had them ranked by sales volume, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol, then all the rest.

To give you an idea of how much Pennzoil is sold every year, the volume exceeds both Quaker State and Valvoline put together.

I believe we have our answer!

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Curious to hear how Rotella weighs in. Or is it even in the ballpark?

As best conventional? Or most popular?
I think HDEO is better than PCMO in general, but in general it doesn't really matter which conventional oil you use...
If we were going to have some sort of conventional oil test to failure competition with some spec of motor I'd think a good HDEO should win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back