What's my relationship to this woman?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
The woman is my uncle's son's and his wife's daughter. Am I a cousin by marriage, or...?

Once removed??? What does that mean? I fully understand it’s his cousin he’s asking about. To the OP this is not a cousin by marriage. She is your blood relative.

Once removed??? What does that mean? I fully understand it’s his cousin he’s asking about. To the OP this is not a cousin by marriage. She is your blood relative.
Because it's his cousins kid, once removed, now if Shel_b has a kid that would make him/her second cousins to the daughter. Cousins share grandparents, second cousins share Great grandparents and on and on.......

Now you know why there is a lot of inbreeding going on, it's complicated.

Last edited:
Because it's his cousins kid, once removed, now if Shel_b has a kid the would make him/her second cousins to the daughter. Cousins share grandparents, second cousins share Great grandparents and on and on.......
I understand everything but the once removed part. I’ll look it up.

a similar thread came up on another forum i frequent a few years ago....
not sure if it will help any with the extra complication of "by marriage", etc...

cousin-chart.png

Cousin rules.png

a Different example in my own Family:
my First Cousin,( Dad's brother's Daughter) let's just call her "M", She had a Son, Call him "W".
we always said that "W" was my Second Cousin.
by the chart, "W" is my First Cousin Once Removed, and His young Daughters ("R" & "A") are my First Cousins Twice Removed...

did any of that help in any way?

quick back of the napkin sketch of how I understood your question... She's your 1st Cousin's wife(?), so...1st Cousin-in-Law? is that a thing?

Last edited:
The woman is my uncle's son's and his wife's daughter. Am I a cousin by marriage, or...?
Your uncle's son is your first cousin. The woman, as the child of your first cousin is your "first cousin once removed". And that's your relationship.

If you were both the children of first cousins you would have been second cousins.

Back