What's involved in replacing the O-ring on a transmission Fill tube? Chrysler A-500 / 42rh

Is a pan drop necessary?

How about a temporary solution. A good cleaning and RTV perhaps?

Attachments

• 20210202_161903.jpg
    20210202_161903.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 32
Not sure on those. But yes a good temporary solution would be to use the RTV safe for ATF and use that till you get the seal and time to do it. I am assuming the o- ring is down in the pan underneath that so you probably will have to drop the pan. If it’s at the top where it comes out you probably won’t have to drop it.

Pretty sure those are like the old Torqueflites. If so, the tube just pulls out and there is an o-ring...no pan drop needed. Be prepared to lose some fluid, though.

My factory service manual calls the A-500 a Torqueflite.

Says nothing about the dipstick tube though.

I'm 2500 miles from home and only 2650 miles since i last pulled its drainplug and then added ~5 quarts of Valvoline ATF+4.

I've a remote fresh xg16 inline on the cooler lines which is why its closer to 5 quarts rather than the usual 4.

I certainly dont want to drop the pan, and certainly not in dad's driveway...even with a drainplug.

Thanks

Thank you.

I cleaned all the crud from around it.
20 seconds after wiping the base it looks like this:

20210203_153150.jpg

Looks like I am O-ring shopping. and then opening my drainplug.

The pipe is 3/4" OD, the portion I can get my calipers on anyway.

This AM the paper towels I wrapped around base of tube and left in drip pan were nicely soaked.
20210204_135453.jpg

After wiping tranny dry, one drip falling every 15 seconds or so into the catchpan.

Went to Ace hardware.

3/4 inch OD 0.10 thick O ring.
33 cents each.

Drained just over two quarts into a pristine drip pan, then put it into a clean container.
A paper towel on top of tube stayed white and dry, but when I pulled tube lost perhaps 1/4 more quart into the returned catch pan

Easily removed O ring from tube. and cleaned inside bore, with Q tips, then drained 1/2 to 3/4 more quarts of fluid.

The bottom of the drainpan with this second draining had some debris in bottom, compared to the first draining, which had none.

So pulling the tube, despite measures taken to sterilize the exterior before doing so, still allowed some gunk inside, which drained out.

All hail the drainplug whose bung is welded to exterior of pan.

New o-ring installed and tube seated, I returned the first 2 quarts I drained, the second fluid from second draining, I left out.

No leaks.

I have a new quart of ATF+4 ready to go once its warm and parked level.

I think I'll consider replacing the O ring at future TX fluid changes, rather than wait to find a puddle.

Attachments

• 20210204_143631.jpg
    20210204_143631.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 10
Back