What's in your filter? Media types explained

Funny seeing those Cummins Confidential slides from over a decade ago. Fleetguard melt-blown media has advanced quite a bit since those days...we were right on the cusp of our first nanofiber fuel filter back around that time 2010/2011 for high horsepower engines in the mining sector. Now that media tech has trickled all the way down to RAM trucks and other medium duty applications. Media is a pretty fascinating topic of discussion though...it's always fun to take people through the plant tour in Cookeville to show where we produce the melt-blown StrataPore and NanoNet grades.
How many layers of media do you use in your smaller cans like the LF16002? The efficiency isn't quite as high as I was expecting (100% @ 30 microns), but as a comparison, the FRAM Ultra XG2 which I cut and posted yesterday appears to have four layers in total, two distinct layers, which each appear to be comprised of two layers.

Are you able to provide efficiency for other micron ratings, like say 20 microns so we can compare it to the other filters?

How many layers of media do you use in your smaller cans like the LF16002? The efficiency isn't quite as high as I was expecting (100% @ 30 microns), but as a comparison, the FRAM Ultra XG2 which I cut and posted yesterday appears to have four layers in total, two distinct layers, which each appear to be comprised of two layers.

Are you able to provide efficiency for other micron ratings, like say 20 microns so we can compare it to the other filters?
The internal database isn't showing a lot of detail, unfortunately. I can see that it's a synthetic media upgrade to the LF3681, but not sure what type of media or grade that would be referring to...I'll see what I can find out from engineering. The spec sheet does show it's a full flow design with 100% efficiency at 25 microns (not sure why there's a discrepancy between the online catalog and internal system), 12 grams of capacity under SAE J1858, and a flow rate of 20 L/min.

Are you looking at this for any particular applications? I see that it crosses to several Blue Bird bus models.

1630594466752.png

It that a K&N racing filter? We are forgetting to ask the question of which filter allows us to have the engine out last the ownership of out vehicle?

The internal database isn't showing a lot of detail, unfortunately. I can see that it's a synthetic media upgrade to the LF3681, but not sure what type of media or grade that would be referring to...I'll see what I can find out from engineering. The spec sheet does show it's a full flow design with 100% efficiency at 25 microns (not sure why there's a discrepancy between the online catalog and internal system), 12 grams of capacity under SAE J1858, and a flow rate of 20 L/min.

Are you looking at this for any particular applications? I see that it crosses to several Blue Bird bus models.

The filter crosses to the XG2, which means it covers both Ford FL820S applications and MOPAR HEMI applications like my Jeep and truck.

I should add, I also run the larger (FL-1A equivalent) Stratapore filter on our Supra boat, and will also do the same with our Four Winns. So I'm definitely keen on knowing more efficiency data if Engineering obliges your request. 20, 15 and 10 microns would be amazing, though perhaps too much to ask.

Were you ever able to get any more details on the media and efficiency of this filter?

Thought I'd add these Machinery Lubrication articles that have some filter media info.

See the section "Filtration Mechanisms and Filter Media"

Synthetic Microglass
This was the first synthetic filter material and there are, expectedly, numerous takes on it. Comprised of very thin fibreglass strands woven into a complex mesh, this material provides enhanced flow and significant depth within which particulate can be trapped. Multiple layers of this media can be put together to provide progressively finer filtration. Because it isn't rigid like cellulose, this media requires a backing material made of either a polymer or metal for it to maintain its shape. Microglass media enabled filters to be more efficient, while simultaneously offering better flow and particulate holding capacity, which was quite a breakthrough. Donaldson's take on this product was called "Synteq", Cummins had their own. There are several others.
Overkill,
A great write up on the different medias. Thank you for putting this together.

Overkill,
A great write up on the different medias. Thank you for putting this together.
Hi Overkill,

I thought of a question I'd like to leverage your experience on:

I have a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 3.6L V6. The OLM says I can take my oil to 10,000 miles but can't get myself to do it. Concerned about the oil staying clean enough to operate all the VVT features the engine uses the oil to manage. Best I've done is 6,800 miles! I use Pennzoil Synthetic 0w-20 and a Fram Tough Guard filter cartridge. Is it ok to go to 10K with this combination?

Thank you.

I have a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 3.6L V6. The OLM says I can take my oil to 10,000 miles but can't get myself to do it. Concerned about the oil staying clean enough to operate all the VVT features the engine uses the oil to manage. Best I've done is 6,800 miles! I use Pennzoil Synthetic 0w-20 and a Fram Tough Guard filter cartridge. Is it ok to go to 10K with this combination?
The oil filter is the only thing that keeps the oil clean, and therefore the longer the OCI the better it is to use a high efficiency oil filter. The TG is 99% @ 20u and rated for up to 15K miles, so it should be up to the task.

Hi Overkill,

Thank you.
I'll echo what @ZeeOSix said, you should be fine but you might want to do a UOA at say 7,000 miles to see how the lubricant is doing before extending further. I change both our vehicles at the OLM, but prior to HPL, I was using M1 EP, which is specifically designed for extended drains.

Hi Overkill,

Thank you.
I have run this engine in 2 vehicles per the OLM, my in laws have run this engine in two vehicles per the OLM, no oiling issues to be seen. Couple other issues, but no oiling issues.

Excellent reading 👍

Do all FleetGuard filters have that same good looking media?
Or is it application sensitive?
I recently communicated with Fleetguard and they confirmed that part #'s LF16002 and LF3487 are both still using the Stratapore media. These are the FL-1A/PH8 and FL-820S/PH2 equivalent filters.

Fram TG & Purolator Ones have been a "Synthetic Blend" for years now. I'm not sure how a PureOne is Cellulose Only.

Back