What's Head Suppose To Look Like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil Engine flush is NOT an "additive" and this whole boutique thing is making me puke. It's $3.45 a can!

I don't think Amsoil said the product didn't contain kerosene, they said: "Our product is a petroleum distillate but it is not kerosene. AMSOIL AEF has lubricating properties that kerosene does not...."

As for the topic, I agree with Frank at AutoRx that some patina is normal. Thick varnish isn't. When I buy used cars they always have some level of patina and some have varnish. Getting non-wear metals back to new aluminum or new steel in these vehicles is nearly impossible, and somewhat pointless.

First off, both Amsoil motor oil and engine flush are, by all accounts, products which work very well according to these forums. But I off-handedly referred to Amsoil as a "premium" and/or "boutique" supplier because I consider Amsoil to be a premium and/or boutique supplier. Amsoil sells for about $6 and is usually available through mail order -- I've never seen it locally at any parts store large or small. Havoline (for example) is available just about anywhere for 69 cents/qt after rebate; hence, NOT premium or boutique.

I think Amsoil is being disingenuous in saying "Our product is a petroleum distillate but it is not kerosene. AMSOIL AEF has lubricating properties that kerosene does not," or from their website, "...a carefully selected blend of solvents and special cleaning agents." They're clearly trying to differentiate themselves from the lowly Gunks and Pyroil 5 minute flushes of the world. Nothing wrong with that, regardless of price. But that doesn't change the fact that their flush is 83% kerosene and naphtha, stuff they were using to clean engines 50 years ago, and nothing "special" at all. But, to reiterate, their product clearly works well.

[ November 19, 2003, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: TC ]

Actually I don't think Amsoil engine flush works all that well
shocked.gif
....again see my royal flush procedure.

There is one thing that I haven't mentioned: I used to work for a chemical company (as a chemist) and we wrote our own MDSD's. An MSDS is NOT a recipe. The components only need to be aprox. the next closest or so....

quote:

I've never seen it locally at any parts store large or small.

G.I. Joe's, a regional (I think) sports/outdoor/auto parts chain here in the Northwest, started carrying most of Amsoil's engine oil product line on the shelf last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back