What's Harder On Modern Coolant... Time Or Miles?

My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee only has 16,000 miles on it. It's still running the original coolant. It's going to be a LONG time before that vehicle ever sees 100K miles. (Which is supposedly how long the coolant lasts).

So... When should I start thinking about changing the coolant? How long does coolant last before it starts going "bad"? Is this newer stuff that great compared to the older yellow / green Prestone?

That's what my 1991 F-150 runs, and I've changed that coolant every 2 years. It's still running the original 31 year old heater core. And the radiator is close to 25 years old. So I must be doing something right.

My gut feeling is to change it out. But it's going to be a bit of a PITA to do it. It's not easy getting to the drain plug. And just looking at You Tube videos on the subject, there is talk about, "bleeding the air from the system"... (5.7 HEMI V-8)... Something I've never done on any vehicle after a coolant change. The air always seems to work it's way out of the system after a few heat / cool down sessions.

Where is a good place to buy this newer coolant besides the dealer? They rape you on everything. Or should I let it go for a while? It's been in there for 7 years.

With regards to your 30 yr old Ford if you're changing every 2 years and using the same coolant that isn't lifetime then ya you're doing what you're supposed to do.

Perhaps buy some coolant test strips?
Does Ford have a recommended interval for coolant hose replacement?

Dealers rape you on coolant? I bought 1 gallon of BMW antifreeze for $33 (not-mixed). For a lifetime product I find it rather reasonable.

With regards to your 30 yr old Ford if you're changing every 2 years and using the same coolant that isn't lifetime then ya you're doing what you're supposed to do.

Perhaps buy some coolant test strips?
Does Ford have a recommended interval for coolant hose replacement?

Dealers rape you on coolant? I bought 1 gallon of BMW antifreeze for $33 (not-mixed). For a lifetime product I find it rather reasonable.

Couldn't tell you. I've never left a coolant hose on long enough to blow. Just like the coolant, they're relatively easy to get to and change out on the older vehicles. Newer ones are a PITA.

If coolant only lasts 5 years, (according to Crowley's post), that's hardly a, "lifetime product". But I'm in agreement that it needs to be changed regardless.

To give you a better answer, it depends on the type of coolant. If you have HOAT Mopar coolant in your jeep then it's meant for 10 years or 150,000 miles. Still, time is worse than miles. The type of driving you do also matters as repeated heat cycles kill it faster.

Rule of thumb: if in doubt, just change it. I know, it's a tedious job. I did it on a RAM 1500 with a HEMI with just repeatedly draining and filling the radiator with distilled water with the thermostat removed and it still took a day and a half of work. A shop has the right tools will do it way faster, but it will cost you.

To give you a better answer, it depends on the type of coolant. If you have HOAT Mopar coolant in your jeep then it's meant for 10 years or 150,000 miles. Still, time is worse than miles. The type of driving you do also matters as repeated heat cycles kill it faster.

Rule of thumb: if in doubt, just change it. I know, it's a tedious job. I did it on a RAM 1500 with a HEMI with just repeatedly draining and filling the radiator with distilled water with the thermostat removed and it still took a day and a half of work. A shop has the right tools will do it way faster, but it will cost you.

Do you happen to know about what a Chrysler dealer would charge for a coolant flush / fill?

I know they quoted me $400.00 + for a new battery installed. (They told me the front seat had to come out). Which was B.S. I was able to do it myself without pulling the seat out, and it ran me $205.00 for a new battery from Autozone.

So I'm getting the idea I can draw a parallel line between that and a coolant flush / fill.

Crowley,

Seeing as you did this on a RAM 1500 HEMI, this coolant say's, "It will NOT fit a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee"... You then click on, "similar products that will fit", and you get 2,879 different types of coolant, in every make and color of the rainbow.

So, what do you think would be the best coolant for my application, that won't screw with my Lifetime Maxcare Warranty? (I would prefer a concentrate as opposed to pre mix). But even Mopar makes enough different coolants to confuse a chemical engineer.

Yesterday I changed the coolant on the wife's 2018 F350 with the gas engine. Changed the brake fluid as well. Change the coolant. It is your duty.

Drained the radiator and drained the block, there is a pipe plug in the block. I didn't see a need to flush the system. On my F150 with the 2.7 I just drain the radiator and refill once a year because I haven't found an easy to access block drain.

Drained the radiator and drained the block, there is a pipe plug in the block. I didn't see a need to flush the system.

With my older Ford I drain refill with water, run until the thermostat opens with the heat on "HOT", then drain, refill and repeat until it comes out clear.

Then I repeat twice with distilled water, then drain and fill with 50/50 mix. It's time consuming, but relatively easy.

I drain and refill (no flush) every 2 or 3 years, regardless of miles. I do this for all our cars and the old coolant drains out looking brand new.

One thing I've found that helps is that when I refill I put the front end up on jack stands. I've found it gets most of the air out and the system needs very little top off after a few hot/cold cycles.

One last comment, I use OEM coolant for all the cars. Distilled water of course. 50/50 mix.

Scott

Crowley,

Seeing as you did this on a RAM 1500 HEMI, this coolant say's, "It will NOT fit a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee"... You then click on, "similar products that will fit", and you get 2,879 different types of coolant, in every make and color of the rainbow.

So, what do you think would be the best coolant for my application, that won't screw with my Lifetime Maxcare Warranty? (I would prefer a concentrate as opposed to pre mix). But even Mopar makes enough different coolants to confuse a chemical engineer.

If you can share the exact specs of your jeep I can find out. Given that's a 2016, I'm 99% it's OAT coolant. The Mopar OAT coolant is one of the few Mopar fluids I actually buy. Most other ones are just overpriced commodity lubes/fluids.

By 2016 IIRC FCA went OAT coolant for every vehicle they make. I said HOAT earlier, that was a mistake. That's what they previously used. OAT coolant can by used in just about any system, provided you replace all the coolant. The Mopar OAT is also free of 2-EHA.

I don't know what the dealer charges, probably an arm and a leg. I only see the dealer for recals and softwate updates.

I recently had an issue with my 2022 Durango where the engine died while backing out of my driveway and when I reached out to the sales guy, instead of faking some empathy, he lashed out at me for contacting him about my issue. He said, and I quote "it's not my problem!" - Well, that dealership will never get my business again.

Back