What's going on with Mobil 1 and Amsoil formulations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone has noticed lately, some of the new UOA's we have of Mobil 1 have increased levels of ZDDP and Ca. Amsoil on the other hand has lowered the levels to SL API standards. This is a switch. IMO, it's probably lab inconsitancies, although the Calcium levels we know have been increased in M1 which has shown to be a great thing!.

You've got to hand it to M1, they are definitely tweaking their formula a lot!

I think that when I've used up my supply of Royal Purple, I'm going to switch my wife's Civic back over to Mobil 1 once again. I'm much more impressed with the UOAs I've seen on here from Mobil 1 5w30 than the ones I've seen with Royal Purple 5w30.

[ September 04, 2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

You've got to hand it to M1, they are definitely tweaking their formula a lot!

I think that when I've used up my supply of Royal Purple, I'm going to switch my wife's Civic back over to Mobil 1 once again.

I don't blame you. I think they are reading this website. I'm serious too.
grin.gif
I was going to switch to Amsoil S2k again, but I see no advantage at all right now of using that. All they have to do now is make 5w/10w-30 a bit thicker!! It will then be A3 rated.

[ September 04, 2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

if mobil 1 10w30 was a bit thicker, there would be absolutely no reason for me to keep using amsoil 10w30 ATM. the price of a jug of mobil 1 is just so cheap at wallmart these days.

Don't forget though, that adding a qt. of 15w-50 is perfectly safe and would bring you up to Amsoil's kinematic viscosity. Just another option. It wouldn't be exact, but adding a thicker oil would definitely thicken it up a bit. Amsoil 10w-30 is a very good oil too.

Guys remember that Amsoil is a blender ,no magic they havent discovered any new super duper stuff they buy additives and the base oils and put out a heavy additized oil. Kinda like the fleet type oils. I am not knocking Amsoil .

[ September 04, 2003, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Anyone think it's worth sampling a few Mobil 1 VOA's now that we have seen some changes?
smile.gif

We'll have to send one of our...ahem...space assets over his house and see if what he pours into the car is actually grün...er green!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back