What's everyone's opinion on Kendall GT-1 synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Hmmm... am I missing something here??

"Mobil 1 is the only oil we use for our engines as the first filling. And then we put the sticker in the engine compartment just to make sure that people know what's in their engines."
– Domingos Piedade, Managing Director,
Mercedes-Benz AMG"

I just came across this: MB Rerefined oil endorsement

Not sure how old this is, or what exactly a rerefined oil is, but it seems to contradict Mr. Piedade's statement.

Mormit, check your PMs
phone.gif

For what it's worth, the reason were looking at the Mercedes list is the unavailability of a similar VW publication. Obviously, it is a trust worthy list and personal preferances can easily rearrange it. Kendall, great. A cool old-school brand. Chevron tests exceptional. Valvoline, a benchmark, easy to find available in Euro 5w-40. Great alternative to Mobil 1. Havoline, another great product. Pennzoil is special because they control their own basestocks. Mobil is only available in that 0w, boo. Quaker State at least made the list, 5w-40. Syntec, bad karma.

As far as the AMG post, you'll note that AMG is the endorser of M1 and recieves compensation, not Mercedes. Those little stickers are meaningless.

Mormit, I tried to cover your question about the ranking. As far as you application goes, any 5w-40 synth on the Mercedes list is awesome stuff. I would not worry about the higher flash points in PAO being too important because when they do burn they leave a nasty hard deposit where as Group III might go off cleaner. I am still lookig into it but I don't get too excited about Groups. Basicly, do you want to expensively build small molecules into medium ones or cheaply crack big ones into medium? No big difference. BTW- I noticed the Rotella T Synth is Volvo-Approved, 5w-40 and is at Wal*Mart for $3! I like it because of the EP additive package, especially if you ever crank up the boost. Valvetrain pressures in a boosted turbo can equal that of a diesel.

Audi Junkie,

For VW/Audi engines it make more sense to look for oils that meet the VW 502/505 specifications, then to look at Mercedes 229.3 or 229.5 specs. The VW 502/505 requirement involves testing in VW/Audi, gas/diesel engines and evaluates wear/deposits and oil degradation/consumption in high temp/high load service. The VW "T-4" test is particularly severe and runs for 248 hours with no makeup oil allowed during the test.

VW 502/505 oils sold in North America would include:

Mobil 1, 0w-40 - available at Autozone stores
Amsoil - 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30
Valvoline Synpower, 5w-40 - some NAPA stores carry this oil
LubeMoly, 0w-40/5w-40
Motul 6100 , 5w-40
QS European Formula, 5w-40
Castrol Syntec, 5w-40 - the stuff sold at Audi dealers
BMW 5w-30 synthetic, sold at BMW dealers
Redline Oil - quite possibly - I'd ask one of their lube engineers

I'm sure I missed a couple, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

TooSlick

Quote:
"Pennzoil is special because they control their own basestocks."

My guess is it is no longer true now that Dutch Shell has bought them. I also understand the refinery" hydrocracking " in Louisiana is for sale,,1/2 interest that is. Conoco/Phillips still has the other half

Actually, I just bought (a few hours ago), 1 case of the Kendall GT-1 5w-40 syn. and it seems okay to me. I called and emailed them (actually its now 76 lubricants who makes it)and they emphatically stated that their synthetic oils that they (the Phillips 66/TOSCO group)make are PAO based syn. oils. I too saw the MSDS and thats why I asked them and either its outdated (the MSDS)or, just mislisted.

Also, if you go to 76lubricants SNIP youll see that the 76 5w-40 "Pure Synthetic Oil" has the same MSDS listed CAS# and yet in the tech description of the oil they emphatically state that this oil is a PAO based oil. So, i dunno.

I know that the pour point of the Kendall syn. 5w-40 is -51 which is lower than ANY other group III oil ive ever seen! Of course, its possible that its a MIX of PAO & group III and at $13/gallon or $21/case, its a steal! Ill let yall know how it does.

BTW, it looks, smells, and tastes(just kiddin on the latter:)!) like the Exxon Synthetics that were PAO-based.

[ December 25, 2002, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

The Kendall 5/30, 10/30 and 5/40 is a PAO oil CAS # 68037-01-4 per a Conoco Enginneer,,yeah I saw the date of the MSDS but he was adiment that was the CAS # for the current product. Supposedly all those oils are getting revamped,,time will tell.

The synthetics that is,not the other 5/30 and 10/30 in their line.

Conoco Syncon 5/30, 10/30 and 15/50 is also PAO synthetics while on topic along with the Phillips 5/30 synthetic being a PAO .I need to check on the Phillips 5/50 when time allows to see what it is. Bet no PAO there
wink.gif

[ December 25, 2002, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Granted, Kendall is not the same oil it used to be, but for the last dozen years of his life (and thanks to my prodding), it was the oil my dad used in his cars. He was driving a 1972 Chrysler Imperial when he died in 1984. Before I sold it, I replaced the valve cover gaskets because they were leaking a little bit. I was literally stunned at how clean that 440 was. There was absolutely no sludge or varnish or anything. Even the paint stripes on the valve springs were as bright as the day it was made. The car had around 110,000 miles on it and had never had anything in it but Kendall 20w40.

Edit: I realize now that my response was a little off topic, since the Kendall used in my dad's Chrysler wasn't synthetic. But I've read elsewhere that the new owners of Kendall are fully committed to maintaining the quality and performance standards that were always the hallmark of Kendall oils. And given that they've chosen to go the full PAO route for the GT-1 synthetics, I'd say that's a good indication that they are following through with that commitment.

[ December 25, 2002, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: XHVI ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back