What's better for my Cummins, OAT or HOAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Joel_MD

I looked at the Rotella ELC products on the Shell website. It looks like they're equivalent to the Peak Final Charge or Fleetguard ES Compleat coolants. Where do you find them for $20/gallon? Are you talking about the 50/50 mix? I see some online stores selling the concentrate for $31/gal plus shipping, or six gallons for $165.

Yes, I should have been specific that it is the 50/50, and not the concentrate. My local dealer only stocks the 50/50, and I don't feel like waiting or paying shipping for the concentrate.

Big difference is that Final Charge does not appear to give you the nitrite and molybdate unless you step up to the NOAT.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Yes, I should have been specific that it is the 50/50, and not the concentrate. My local dealer only stocks the 50/50, and I don't feel like waiting or paying shipping for the concentrate.

Big difference is that Final Charge does not appear to give you the nitrite and molybdate unless you step up to the NOAT.

Like I stated in my original post, I'm looking to flush my cooling system with distilled water and switch to a new coolant. Can't do that with a 50/50 mix.

I don't need nitrite and molybdate because, like I said earlier, this is for a Cummins engine. There are no wet sleeves/cavitation issues to worry about.

Use John Deere CoolGardII, its a tri-HOAT so it will mix just fine if you don't get your current system flushed completely. It's service rating of 6 years/6,000 hrs. is in line with other extended life coolant and you don't have to worry about any gasket/hose issues.

I have it in roughly 20 different engines and my testing has proved it to be a long life coolant.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: 3311
Rotella elc is a 2eh coolant iirc.

No.

Unless it has been reformulated it is does contain 2eha. Its a dexcool with nitrite and molybdate.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
Originally Posted By: 3311
Is your engine a parent bore, wet sleeve, or both? If its a wet sleeve I would use final charge which is cummins factory fill on medium/heavy duty engines iirc.

If it is a parent bore or sleeved parent bore like my Isuzu below than any compatible automotive coolant you like if you want to get away from factory fill.

I just stuck with standard dexcool on my 7500 below when I changed a water pump a few months ago. Was going to use final charge but didnt have time to find it and factory speced dexcool works fine.

All the Cummins engines have bored cylinders. That is one of the advantages of the Cummins over the Ford Powerstroke; none of those cavitation corrosion issues.

What is "final charge?"

Not exactly true, diesel engine see cavitation around the bores with sleeves or parent bore due to the amount of cylinder pressure.

Peak "Final Charge" is your typical Carboxylic Acid type OAT coolant. Basically Dexcool with Nitrite.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CDX825

I would go with an OAT coolant though in your truck. They last longer than hoat and being silicate free means the water pump seals and bearings last longer.

Everyone thinks silicate is sooo bad, what you will find though silicate free OAT coolants will leak more prevalent than coolants with silicate. Unless the engine is in perfect condition and not known for coolant leaks i'll flush and convert over to ELC/OAT coolant, if i'm suspect the engine/radiator are in less than optimal condition i'll try to only put in a coolant type that the engine originally used. HOAT/G05 is good upgrade for an older engine, G05 has silicate and nitrite, less conversion issues.

I know one of the people who runs the lab for a major fluid testing company, she uses CAT DEAC coolant in her diesel ram, after all the research.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back