What's all needed to replace the cam seals on a 2005 Tundra 4.7?

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to do a timing belt belt on a 4.7 and found the cam seals leaking. Was looking through the repair procedure and saw mention of "tube seals" to seal up the vvt actuators, but also talking about pulling the bearing caps and cams. Do these tube seals seal both the end of the cam and the actuator?

To do the seals on those, the cams will need to pulled. It’s just like the VVT-i version of the 4.0L 1UZ used in the 1998-2000 LS/GS/SC400 and the 3UZ 4.3L in the 2001-2006 V8 GS and LS/SC.

Theres an O-ring that seals the VVT phasers, the guys at ClubLexus figured it out with a generic O-ring. Else the cam seal looks like a leisurely chore to do: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc...e-the-vvti-camshaft-to-replace-cam-seals.html

If it isn't absolutely needed, I would avoid. The VVT version of the 4.7L requires for the cams to be pulled.

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to do a timing belt belt on a 4.7 and found the cam seals leaking. Was looking through the repair procedure and saw mention of "tube seals" to seal up the vvt actuators, but also talking about pulling the bearing caps and cams. Do these tube seals seal both the end of the cam and the actuator?
I love working on Toyota V8's :rolleyes:

For clarity:
Untitled-21a.jpg

The timing tube seal (o-ring) is separate from the cam seal (lip seal). The o-ring seals just the timing tube halves. If this o-ring isn't leaking, leave it alone.

FYI, detailed discussion regarding the timing tube o-ring at Club Lexus, 1st/2nd Gen LS400 forum:

To replace the cam seals, the cams and the timing tubes have to be removed. Remember to install a "service" bolt to lock the scissor gears on the exhaust cam together Installed before cam removal.

There are Toyota-only seal washers for the cam plug (at the end of the timing tube tube) and the front bearing cap bolts.

No special tools needed to install the seals - just push them into place before torquing down the bearing caps.

Don't forget the oil screen under the bearing cap and be mindful of where you apply FIPG. The FSM reads, do not apply in the cap grooves but this doesn't account for squeeze out when the cap is installed. 🤷‍♂️

Untitled-22.jpg

Last edited:
I'm kind of thinking that they do need done. The truck has 205k miles and the cam sensor is soaked and the actuators have some dampness to them. I'd really hate to do the belt and then have the seals really cut loose and soak the belt 10 or 20k in... The truck is currently back on the road as the customer didn't have the money for the additional repairs and I didn't have enough time to be pulling cams and doing seals

Back