What's a Good Method to Sharpen a Serrated Knife?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Sweetie and I each have this serrated knife used mostly for slicing bread and for slicing tomatoes. What are some good ways to sharpen this puppy?

Knife.jpg

round file?
I've heard of using a file for sharpening such blades, but I've not done it. I've asked a friend who knows more about knives than I do, and he may have some ideas. Hmmm ... maybe I can find a YouTube video.

I've heard of using a file for sharpening such blades, but I've not done it. I've asked a friend who knows more about knives than I do, and he may have some ideas. Hmmm ... maybe I can find a YouTube video.
I call them bread knives. They're the only ones I've ever cut myself on. I've sharpened them many times on this knife sharpener.

So you're suggesting repurposing the knife? What do you do with the old knives in your garage?
well, this past weekend I took an old cheese knife and cut a pair of my old jeans that I'm now using as rags. I have also used old knives to cut an old tire that I had laying around. Cut out a square out of the sidewall and fixed the radiator on my wifes car (don't ask).
strip electrical wire
cut weedeater string
basically anytime I don't want to use one of my good knives I reach for the old knife drawer.

I sharpen mine with a round file, or a round stone. Various diameter stones and files are available, some of which can be used in a dremmel tool intended for chain saw blades.

i typically have to use a small tapered file but i only bother on some pocketknives. That looks like a cheaper knife and i wouldn't do it unless i wanted to waste time since it would take longer than its probably worth to just buy a new one and the files aint cheap. Go to Walmart and buy a new one and make that the new garage beater. I've seen and used a lot of decent sub $1 knives at Walmart and the file sharpener is around 10 bucks or more.

Just look up tapered rod knife sharpener, tapered diamond rod knife sharpener, or serrations sharpener. I use a little smith one idk the name and the lansky blademedic and both are alright and costed about the same. i like the blade medic more.

Shop around on amazon. Just avoid the sharpening steels or honing rods, honing steel those don't do serrations. Look for those fine tapered sharpening files or ceramics.

Is it flat on one side or angled on both sides?
If flat on one side you can sharpen it easy but it'll never cut quite as good as new.
I love serrated pocket knives and saw a guy on bladeforums do it... taught me how to keep mine sharp.

I've never had any luck trying to sharpen serrated knives. We have a few left out of one of those sets that comes with 20+ knives so maybe they are just super cheap. On a side not, I don't let my wife play with sharp knives.

Back