What's a good brake pad for a 99 Camaro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The time has come to put some new pads and rotors on the back of my 99 Camaro (3800 V6, Automatic). I'm looking for something that's quiet, last a long time (as I hate to do brake work, lol), and provides OE type performance? Do y'all have any suggestions?

Napa ultimate rotors and Bendix Ceramic brakes. Go for the CT-3 if you can, the CQ series is very good as well.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Napa ultimate rotors and Bendix Ceramic brakes. Go for the CT-3 if you can, the CQ series is very good as well.

Thanks for the quick response. According to the Bendix site, they don't have any retailers in my area. What pads would be comparable to these?

Well, I decided to do a little shopping around, checking with the local parts houses (namely, Advance, Autozone, and NAPA). Advance has some Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramics for $57, Autozone has the Duralast Gold CMax for $55 and the Duramax Gold ceramic for $47, and NAPA has several options, including something called a 'Adaptive One Ceramic' set of pads for $65. Are any of these particularly better than the other, or will all of 'em do fine for a stock camaro that's used as a daily driver?

Thanks

I wouldnt put stock in the bendix find a dealer thing. It turned out that a lot more stores than were listed around me carried them. If you use their catalog, you can even order them off of Amazon!

Id look at raybestos advanced technology pads too. Ive heard mixed things about the autozone stuff, and the Napa pads sound interesting, but I havent seen much on them review-wise.

The engineers at Wagner were really good when i talked to them, and I wouldnt hesitate to get those.

I got the Duralast Gold CMax pads on my WS6. No complaints yet. Make sure you "splurge" for the more expensive rotors if you get them from Autzone or the like. The cheaper ones use a lower quality steel and don't do as well.

Originally Posted By: MiniTransAm
I got the Duralast Gold CMax pads on my WS6. No complaints yet. Make sure you "splurge" for the more expensive rotors if you get them from Autzone or the like. The cheaper ones use a lower quality steel and don't do as well.

Well, I was planning on using the 'premium' napa rotors... which were like $39 each, so I suppose that should be okay.

Get plain cheap rotors, and the best pad you can.
The Autozone Duralast Ceramics are reasonably priced, have a good warranty, and are rated F F - very good.

I would agree, unless the car sits a lot, or is a low-miler...

Rotors can get REALLY rusty and nasty. Some rotors like he Napa ultra premium rotors are painted on all non-contact surfaces to prevent rust. Seems to work.

So on a daily driver where you might go through brakes every 3-5 years, cheap rotors do seem to be OK for most situations... For other circumstances, where you will not be re-doing brakes for a long time, better rotors that are coated are preferable, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back