What's a good all-around wax that's durable?

Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Messages
5,761
Location
Da Swamp
Originally Posted by mclasser
I'm just like you. My cars stay parked outside and I have no interest in detailing them every week to look like museum pieces. I use Turtle Wax Wax & Dry during regular washes and Meguiar's Gold Class or Ultimate Wax when the seasons change; all affordable, easy-to-use products I pick up at WM.
Same here, though I do wash the car each Saturday or Sunday unless it's raining, or very likely to. When I do a full detail once or twice a year, I wash, then clay, then apply glaze (up to now it' s been the Mother's brand), then the Gold Class or their Yellow Wax. Maybe I should try this Collinite 845. Available in stores, or only online? High shine as well as protection?
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
9,614
Location
Pennsylbammyvania
^^^^Probably not as much of a 'pop' gloss with the 845 as some of the very co$tly 'boutique' waxes, or coatings/sealants, but I really like it's gloss, especially for as LONG as it beads water, and rejects filth when washed. smile
 
Joined
Jun 23, 2014
Messages
3,236
Location
Phoenix, Arizona - USA
Originally Posted by dailydriver
Originally Posted by SirTanon
In all honesty, unless you wax A LOT, a single bottle of Collinite 845 or a single tub of FK1000P will likely last you at least 5 years.
I go through about a bottle a year, but then I use this EVERY single time I wash the car. Excessive? Probably, but my car is NEVER EVER garaged, and I use it in some very muddy/dusty conditions, and it tends to 'nuisance rain' (a light drizzle/rain once much dust/heavy pollen is on the car) A LOT around here. frown mad
Absolutely excessive. Both 845 and FK1000P are extremely durable, and will easily hold up for months on end, even on a car stored outdoors in those conditions. Re-applying every wash is likely not doing much to improve the protection. Once ever 3 months would probably be as often as you'd ever need to reapply. FWIW, my daily drivers get parked outside 24/7, and I live in Phoenix, where we get harsh sun, dust (and dust storms), and I get LOTS of bug and bird poop when parked at home.. and yet, these two waxes/sealants have done remarkably well at holding up and keeping the finish looking amazing.
 

007

Joined
Jun 19, 2014
Messages
724
Location
Clermont, Fl
I have tried Collinite 845 for use on a car stored 24/7 outside in Florida and it has NOT held up. Am I missing something?
 
Joined
Jun 23, 2014
Messages
3,236
Location
Phoenix, Arizona - USA
Originally Posted by 007
I have tried Collinite 845 for use on a car stored 24/7 outside in Florida and it has NOT held up. Am I missing something?
I have found that with Collinite 845, as well as some other waxes and sealants (FK1000P included), application method/process is key. I have also read/heard many other detailers share similar sentiment.
 
Joined
Oct 8, 2006
Messages
10,794
Location
OH
Originally Posted by 007
I have tried Collinite 845 for use on a car stored 24/7 outside in Florida and it has NOT held up. Am I missing something?
Something definitely is amiss here. Just look at this thread. There can't be this many people talking about how good this stuff is if it actually isn't. My guess is something went terrible wrong during your application, or you got a bad bottle of wax, this is definitely not the norm....
 
Joined
Apr 27, 2010
Messages
12,827
Location
Suburban Washington DC
You could probably wax a car with butter and it would look good. Whether it would last or give any protection, is another story. Never used that Collinite or ever heard of it but assume it works fine, although I doubt they have the resources of Mothers, Turtle Wax or Meguiars to do extensive R&D or testing to ensure it lasts as long or is as durable as the big names. People using the big names also say theirs is good stuff.
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
9,614
Location
Pennsylbammyvania
Originally Posted by SirTanon
Originally Posted by dailydriver
Originally Posted by SirTanon
In all honesty, unless you wax A LOT, a single bottle of Collinite 845 or a single tub of FK1000P will likely last you at least 5 years.
I go through about a bottle a year, but then I use this EVERY single time I wash the car. Excessive? Probably, but my car is NEVER EVER garaged, and I use it in some very muddy/dusty conditions, and it tends to 'nuisance rain' (a light drizzle/rain once much dust/heavy pollen is on the car) A LOT around here. frown mad
Absolutely excessive. Both 845 and FK1000P are extremely durable, and will easily hold up for months on end, even on a car stored outdoors in those conditions. Re-applying every wash is likely not doing much to improve the protection. Once ever 3 months would probably be as often as you'd ever need to reapply. FWIW, my daily drivers get parked outside 24/7, and I live in Phoenix, where we get harsh sun, dust (and dust storms), and I get LOTS of bug and bird poop when parked at home.. and yet, these two waxes/sealants have done remarkably well at holding up and keeping the finish looking amazing.
OK, but you do NOT get much light rain once that dust/pollen is on the car to exacerbate/act as a catalyst to the etching which will happen once MOISTURE is added to the mix. wink
 
Joined
Jun 23, 2014
Messages
3,236
Location
Phoenix, Arizona - USA
Originally Posted by dailydriver
Originally Posted by SirTanon
Originally Posted by dailydriver
Originally Posted by SirTanon
In all honesty, unless you wax A LOT, a single bottle of Collinite 845 or a single tub of FK1000P will likely last you at least 5 years.
I go through about a bottle a year, but then I use this EVERY single time I wash the car. Excessive? Probably, but my car is NEVER EVER garaged, and I use it in some very muddy/dusty conditions, and it tends to 'nuisance rain' (a light drizzle/rain once much dust/heavy pollen is on the car) A LOT around here. frown mad
Absolutely excessive. Both 845 and FK1000P are extremely durable, and will easily hold up for months on end, even on a car stored outdoors in those conditions. Re-applying every wash is likely not doing much to improve the protection. Once ever 3 months would probably be as often as you'd ever need to reapply. FWIW, my daily drivers get parked outside 24/7, and I live in Phoenix, where we get harsh sun, dust (and dust storms), and I get LOTS of bug and bird poop when parked at home.. and yet, these two waxes/sealants have done remarkably well at holding up and keeping the finish looking amazing.
OK, but you do NOT get much light rain once that dust/pollen is on the car to exacerbate/act as a catalyst to the etching which will happen once MOISTURE is added to the mix. wink
I live in a suburban subdivision on a golf course, and believe me, sprinklers are a thing. There's water/moisture in the mix. Maybe not a daily occurrence, but frequently enough. LOTS of other people on here and elsewhere (autogeek forums, etc..) that are in that kind of environment, and trust me when I say it has a reputation for high durability. Appying it every wash is completely unnecessary.
 
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
9,802
Location
California
So far, I've been happy with Griot's 3-in-1 Wax(now called something else, I forget) and Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax. My car is parked on city streets, so I use the Meg's on it and do a wax as I rinse every month or so. The Griot's stuff is holding up quite well on the parent's cars.
 
Joined
Feb 4, 2018
Messages
1,540
Location
Berks County/Pa.
Just now ordered a bottle of Collinite 845 from Amazon. Still have some 476 Collinite left but am eager to give the 845 a shot. Used Meguiars Gold Carnuba in the past -- Collonite 476 has been the most durable "easily" vs anything I have ever tried or used before.
 
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
861
Location
Maryland
I've been using Collinite waxes for many years. The secret to all of them is proper application because they are old-fashioned waxes. The formulations have not changed in decades. I've spoken to one of the Collinite family member owners on more than one occasion. Among 845, 476 and 915, all have same basic ingredients. 845 has more solvent for ease of application. It's highly recommended to take the entire 845 bottle and dunk it in a pan of hot water until the product becomes a thick liquid. Dab the liquid wax onto a sponge applicator until it's damp then apply -very thin! Let it dry to a haze (which takes about 1-4 minutes depending on weather conditions) then buff it with a thick microfiber cloth. Best to do small sections. I tend to do half-hood sized sections. 476 has very little solvent but has more of the synthetic wax. Apply like any other traditional paste wax but always use a very thin coat. Again, give 1-4 minutes to haze and buff. 915 also has very little solvent but has more carnuba and less synthetic wax. Apply the same as 476. You can double-up the products but you should wait 24 hours to allow the solvents to completely dry and allow the waxes to set up. A second coat should not be with 845 as the large amount of solvent in it will loosen-up the first layer of wax. On my cars, I do a detail clean then apply 845, wait 1-2 days, give it a good wash then apply either 476 or 915. A quick 845 wax easily lasts 2-3 months. A double-up wax job will hold up for an entire Maryland winter and also lasts 3 (almost 4) months in the very hot/humid summers. Those durations include an occasional light non-detergent hand wash in-between waxes. This wax is not for everyone because it's old-fashioned and needs a little know-how and TLC to apply. Not everyone likes or wants to mess around like this. I find it very relaxing
 

007

Joined
Jun 19, 2014
Messages
724
Location
Clermont, Fl
Originally Posted by bcossa2001
007 I'm curious as to how long it lasted. In the HOT Alabama sun, un-garaged, I get about 2 months with 845....
I get at least 6 months of protection for a vehicle stored outside in the Florida sun using FK1000 which is amazing for me . Unfortunately, Collinite products only lasted me half that at best. Not trying to sell one product vs. the other but I like it when something actually last. To be clear, by protection I mean water beading as well as looks with crappy reclaimed water being sprayed on my vehicles on a regular basis. I am sure there are much better products out there for looks like those that contain carnuba wax but they just DO NOT hold up. Truth be told I am one of those guys who does NOT wish to detail my multiple vehicles every couple of months! l have also tried Meguiars Ultimate wax as many recommended but just never got the same results when applying to a clean or un cleaned surface!
 
Last edited:
Joined
Dec 30, 2012
Messages
1,916
Location
Southwest
Originally Posted by 007
Originally Posted by bcossa2001
007 I'm curious as to how long it lasted. In the HOT Alabama sun, un-garaged, I get about 2 months with 845....
I get at least 6 months of protection for a vehicle stored outside in the Florida sun using FK1000 which is amazing for me . Unfortunately, Collinite products only lasted me half that at best. Not trying to sell one product vs. the other but I like it when something actually last. To be clear, by protection I mean water beading as well as looks with crappy reclaimed water being sprayed on my vehicles on a regular basis. I am sure there are much better products out there for looks like those that contain carnuba wax but they just DO NOT hold up. Truth be told I am one of those guys who does NOT wish to detail my multiple vehicles every couple of months! l have also tried Meguiars Ultimate wax as many recommended but just never got the same results when applying to a clean or un cleaned surface!
I've seen several such posts from Floridians. I assume it's the heat, or maybe humidity.
 
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
647
Location
ohio
RayCJ, Agree completely. I use double coats of 476s on my plow trucks every fall. Last winter, just as a test, I applied 476s to one truck which has white paint. I did not buff off the wax, just left it on there. I did hose off the salt spray on a regular basis but did not wash the truck. At the beginning of March, when the weather had warmed up a couple of days enough to wash / wax vehicles outside, I got to cleaning the White truck. I could see the built up wax on the hood and roof was still there. On the sides of the truck where water coming off the tires had sprayed, the wax coating was not there (like on the roof and hood), but the water still was beading up. I actually had to use some Rust-Oleum "Wax and Tar" remover to get the wax off the hood and roof so I could apply a fresh coat. Long story short. that 476s wax definitely holds up to the elements.
 
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
861
Location
Maryland
Originally Posted by xtell
RayCJ, Agree completely. I use double coats of 476s on my plow trucks every fall. Last winter, just as a test, I applied 476s to one truck which has white paint. I did not buff off the wax, just left it on there. I did hose off the salt spray on a regular basis but did not wash the truck. At the beginning of March, when the weather had warmed up a couple of days enough to wash / wax vehicles outside, I got to cleaning the White truck. I could see the built up wax on the hood and roof was still there. On the sides of the truck where water coming off the tires had sprayed, the wax coating was not there (like on the roof and hood), but the water still was beading up. I actually had to use some Rust-Oleum "Wax and Tar" remover to get the wax off the hood and roof so I could apply a fresh coat. Long story short. that 476s wax definitely holds up to the elements.
Collinite has both carnuba and their own "synthetic" wax. When you first use Collinite, the finish looks nice and deep because of the carnuba. The 915 has 3x as much carnuba and on darker colors, the finish looks three dimensional. You don't get that same effect for as long with the 845. After 2-3 months the carnuba breaks down but the synthetic wax keeps doing it's job. My cars continue to bead-up water beyond 2-3 months but, the high luster look diminishes. This is why I say the 845 wax lasts 2-3 months even though, it will effectively bead-up water for longer. You know how it is on Internet forums... you have to low-ball everything you say lest someone take you to task because their results lasted one day less than 3 months. My wife's car (12 years old BTW) is white -and white does not show finish depth or detail very well. I only wax her car 2x a year but give it a double-coat because the car is in great shape. It beads-up water all year long. My son's car only gets 2 waxes per year, usually with a single coat of 845 because, it's got a few dings. Toward the end of each phase, you can see that water does not bead-up as well. My car is Mazda Soul Red and really looks nice with a carnuba finish so, it gets 3 wax jobs a year. Ray
 
Joined
Jul 17, 2003
Messages
872
Location
Ohio
I've also been using Collinite 476 and 845 for many years. I usually double coat, either two coats of 476 or 476 topped off with 845. Like RayCJ said, you should wait 24 hours or more before doing the second coat. I've spoken with the folks at Collinite and they said topping off the 476 with 845 works very well and they said many people use that combination. They never mentioned the extra solvent being an issue and I know it lasts longer than a single coat of 476. The 476/845 combo lasts me a VERY LONG time, like up to a year, but my car is almost always garaged when not being driven. In any event, as attested to here, both 476 and 845 are highly recommended by almost everyone who tries them.
Originally Posted by RayCJ
I've been using Collinite waxes for many years. The secret to all of them is proper application because they are old-fashioned waxes. The formulations have not changed in decades. I've spoken to one of the Collinite family member owners on more than one occasion. Among 845, 476 and 915, all have same basic ingredients. 845 has more solvent for ease of application. It's highly recommended to take the entire 845 bottle and dunk it in a pan of hot water until the product becomes a thick liquid. Dab the liquid wax onto a sponge applicator until it's damp then apply -very thin! Let it dry to a haze (which takes about 1-4 minutes depending on weather conditions) then buff it with a thick microfiber cloth. Best to do small sections. I tend to do half-hood sized sections. 476 has very little solvent but has more of the synthetic wax. Apply like any other traditional paste wax but always use a very thin coat. Again, give 1-4 minutes to haze and buff. 915 also has very little solvent but has more carnuba and less synthetic wax. Apply the same as 476. You can double-up the products but you should wait 24 hours to allow the solvents to completely dry and allow the waxes to set up. A second coat should not be with 845 as the large amount of solvent in it will loosen-up the first layer of wax. On my cars, I do a detail clean then apply 845, wait 1-2 days, give it a good wash then apply either 476 or 915. A quick 845 wax easily lasts 2-3 months. A double-up wax job will hold up for an entire Maryland winter and also lasts 3 (almost 4) months in the very hot/humid summers. Those durations include an occasional light non-detergent hand wash in-between waxes. This wax is not for everyone because it's old-fashioned and needs a little know-how and TLC to apply. Not everyone likes or wants to mess around like this. I find it very relaxing
 
Top