What's a fair price for these wheels?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
A friend's car was just in an accident. If he has to get rid of the car for some reason, I'd nlike to buy his wheels. Any thoughts on a fair price for them? They are original Camry wheels.

1671844553790.jpeg

Go to car-part.com and see what the junkyards are charging. You can search for wheels - just choose the option "wheel - display with image"

Normally an ho-hum aluminum wheel by itself goes for around $75.00 - but if there high demand or special it can be a lot more.
Thanks for that link. It was very helpful.

Don't forget to check if the tpms are compatible.
Is there reason to be concerned? In what way might the TPMS not be compatible? The wheels would be going on the same year and model car, a 2011 Camry.

You'll have to get the serial numbers off the sensors, either with an aftermarket tire shop tool or by popping the beads and looking.

You'll have to get the serial numbers off the sensors, either with an aftermarket tire shop tool or by popping the beads and looking.
Why? Can't I just use the sensors from my current wheels? In any case, the tire shop would deal with it and they'd let me know what, if anything, was needed. It seems like a non-issue to me, ut then, you seem to know more than I about this.

$75/wheel is too much for run of the mill Camry 15" wheels. I paid $175 for 4 17" OEM Titan wheels 3 years ago and $200 for 4 nice 18" Chevy truck wheels a couple of years before that.

Look on your local Craigslist too. There's a wheel and tire category at the bottom of the For Sale list.

$75/wheel is too much for run of the mill Camry 15" wheels. I paid $175 for 4 17" OEM Titan wheels 3 years ago and $200 for 4 nice 18" Chevy truck wheels a couple of years before that.

Look on your local Craigslist too. There's a wheel and tire category at the bottom of the For Sale list.
These aren't 15-inch wheels.

With decent rubber, balanced and all, if they are in decent shape $400 is a steal nowadays.
I was thinking about $100/wheel, hadn't thought about the tires. His rubber is about as good as mine, so maybe just a swap tire and wheel for tire and wheel (plus the cash, of course). However, I really hope he gets to keep the car. He loves it, it suits him, and even though he can afford to buy most anything he desires, he's very happy with what he has. That car is like a comfortable pair of jeans to him. Plus, it only has about 140,000 miles on it ...

Ok so a trade deal. And that looks like an easy fix. Replace the doors and it's good to go. Maybe buy the whole car and get the wheels for free.
Frankly, I'm hoping his car can be easily fixed and he gets to keep it. He likes the car. I'm only interested in the wheels, so if the insurance totals the car, I'd like to buy his wheels. But I'd rather he keep the car and drive it for many more years.

Why? Can't I just use the sensors from my current wheels? In any case, the tire shop would deal with it and they'd let me know what, if anything, was needed. It seems like a non-issue to me, ut then, you seem to know more than I about this.
Toyota has a lame TPMS implementation where the car can't "learn" new sensor IDs, you have to program them. They're printed on the sensors. You either take notes when the tires are off or can somehow scan the RF broadcast and intercept the data with a tool the tire shop might/should have. But then you have to plug into the OBD port and tell the car the new IDs.

Toyota has a lame TPMS implementation where the car can't "learn" new sensor IDs, you have to program them. They're printed on the sensors. You either take notes when the tires are off or can somehow scan the RF broadcast and intercept the data with a tool the tire shop might/should have. But then you have to plug into the OBD port and tell the car the new IDs.
The TPMS on our GS is whack.

Back