What’s a 1997 Maytag Washer & Dryer Worth?

They came with the house we just bought. Serial no. on the washer indicates it was made in January 1997, from my research. I would assume that the dryer is of the same vintage.

We already have a Whirlpool set that I had bought in 2013, so we’re looking to sell these.

Previous owner indicated that they work fine.

It occurred to me that these may well be built more solidly than the newer set we have.

Im aware that some people seek out older washers and dryers because some, especially good brands like Maytag, used to be built better than modern units, in some cases.

CFF2F822-1F10-4654-A338-19323772F653.jpeg
399547C7-F0A1-42D1-A5D7-76AE0A57407C.jpeg

Man, that is much yellowing of the plastic! Was it outside in the sun???

It looks bad, the yellowing can be reversed, and if they run well you can get at least a hindered each.

We had a spare matching set Maytag washer and dryer. Bought in about 1980 and were "working well when parked" but hadn't been used in some time. Cosmetically perfect. I don't believe we ever had to repair either. When we were moving we advertised them for $25 or $50 each.

A lady came to pick them up in a mini van. We loaded them in and when she reached for her wallet I told her they were actually free. She didn't look very well off and I was glad to have them go to someone who appreciated them.

I suggested she put water in the washer before taking it indoors in case it had developed a leak. A seal might have dried out or something like that. Worth fixing though. I'll bet they're still going.

I think all those yellowed plastic bits were metal on mine. Came from a different era.

Our Maytag MCT’s are 10 years old - running several times a week (stuffed - long cycles) & going strong …

Those are better than your 2013 units. Sell the 2013 units, run these til' the wheels fall off, then get Speed Queens to last until you die.
Never even heard of Speed Queen until we bought our house and it came with a Speed Queen washer. I will never buy anything else now. Though with 4 young boys we’d probably destroy anything else in short order.

If you can sell them, great. If not and there any used appliance dealers around you, call one up and they'll probably pick them up for free.

Speed Queen is overrated. They also twist sheets unlike the Maytag I will speak of in a minute. Just had a home built I'm in the middle of moving into and I put the SQ in the walkout basement mother-in-law apartment. The capacity sucks and I hate how it twist bed sheets.

To the members that lust for a Speed Queen. You'd be better off getting the slightly higher capacity Maytag laundromat unit without the coin mech for less money. Model MVWP575GW Delivered free for $989 today 10/03/22 if bought direct from Maytag

Good to know! The one Lowes sells has a different model number to allow for a shorter warranty.

My Speed Queen does exactly this in this video:

Edit: Video above is interesting.
The yellow towel in Speed Queen never really got wet (or cleaned).

My 1985 Maytag Washer & Dryer are still working fine.
Two simple repairs to the Dryer.

I would consider keeping and using the Maytags / mechanical controls can be easily repaired.
Check to see if common parts are still available.
There are other 'online' parts distributors also.

If you keep the Maytags, remove the front covers and clean inside.
I clean mine once a year / interior & exterior still look brand new.
Washer - if needed, replace hot/cold supply hoses.
Dryer - clean any lint inside and the venting exhaust.

Last edited:
If you can sell them, great. If not and there any used appliance dealers around you, call one up and they'll probably pick them up for free.

Speed Queen is overrated. They also twist sheets unlike the Maytag I will speak of in a minute. Just had a home built I'm in the middle of moving into and I put the SQ in the walkout basement mother-in-law apartment. The capacity sucks and I hate how it twist bed sheets.

To the members that lust for a Speed Queen. You'd be better off getting the slightly higher capacity Maytag laundromat unit without the coin mech for less money. Model MVWP575GW Delivered free for $989 today 10/03/22 if bought direct from Maytag

Good to know! The one Lowes sells has a different model number to allow for a shorter warranty.

My Speed Queen does exactly this in this video:

Our speed queen is the first washer I’ve come across that manages to get the machine coolant funk and way lube stains out of my clothes.

Man, that is much yellowing of the plastic! Was it outside in the sun???

It looks bad, the yellowing can be reversed, and if they run well you can get at least a hindered each.
The yellowing of the plastic bits comes with age. It’s common with all manufacturers. They don’t have to be kept outside.

Back