Whatever Happened to 20W-20 Motor Oil

Okay. I was under the assumption that a straight 20 grade still had to fall within the range specified for it.
It doesn't have a W rating ... if it did, it would be a "xW-20", not an "SAE 20". As @OVERKILL pointed out, it only has spec requirements at 100C.

I believe J300 standards also require an oil to be labeled (sold) under the lowest "W" rating that it qualifies for, no?
I would think so ... and I'd think the oil manufacturer of the oil would want to label it based on how it tested per SAE J300 grade specs. If it meets a "5W" per SAE J300, then I'd think the manufacuter would want to label it as a 5W and not a 10W or 15W.

I believe J300 standards also require an oil to be labeled (sold) under the lowest "W" rating that it qualifies for, no?
That's correct, I posted a document that outlined that the other day.

Edit, here it is again for good measure:
Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 12.06.09 PM.jpg

HOWEVER, that only applies if the oil has VII's in it, a monograde is not required to call out any Winter rating, regardless of what they meet.

I haven't been here at this site in a while, logged on just to look up info on this very oil.
Want some? I just ended up with a TON of it from an auction I went to yesterday.
Got lots of old cardboard and metal cans that take an old school oil spout to use..... Most of it can go away. I got a variety of weights, this one was the most mysterious to me.

I haven't been here at this site in a while, logged on just to look up info on this very oil.
Want some? I just ended up with a TON of it from an auction I went to yesterday.
Got lots of old cardboard and metal cans that take an old school oil spout to use..... Most of it can go away. I got a variety of weights, this one was the most mysterious to me.
Photos? Very curious what you have in your new stash!

Correct. BUT... there is no requirement to label with a dual grades unless the oil is viscosity modified (uses a VM of some kind to alter the VI) in which case it is required to state both parts of the SAE grade. A true monograde (unmodified) can just quote one viscosity grade, even if it would meet the requirements of another.

I had a distributor in Sonoma County for fleet oil 15 years ago...and they sold me their last 2 cases of Pennzoil 20w20 oil. I used it all up over the years on my 51 pickup, with 270ci six cylinder.

None to be found in my area anymore.

Just a week ago I saw Pennzoil 20w20 for sale at a small town Ace Hardware. I started a thread about this oil a couple of years back. I was wondering how old this oil could be that is still on the shelf for sale. It’s STILL THERE for sale today. Just like 2 years ago. I can’t believe they’re still trying to sell it.

Photos? Very curious what you have in your new stash!
I have a post in"for sale" with a couple of pix.
Among it is 48 cases of quaker state 20w20, 4 cases (24 cans ea) Pennzoil 20w20, 8-10 cases citgo 20w20, 60 cases citgo type F, and 8-10 cases each of other oils. No 15w40, 20w50 (which I need for my sportster)
There are 2 cases of "60-HD" in there, 10-12 cases 5w30, some 20w30, some sae30 /both detergent and ND, (I'm keeping some of the 30 detergent style). Sadly only 2 cases of 10w40 which isn't going anywhere but into my engines, about 8-10 cases 10w30 of which I'm only willing to part with about half, and one case of a weirdo... 10w-20w-40 which I can't find a **** bit of info on anywhere. When I saw the pix of the auction listing there was a pic of a pallet of oil which looked to include 2 layers of ATF+3, which was nowhere to be seen the day of sale, I ended up with 1 case of it.... I was hoping to get about a 1/2 a layer on a pallet of that stuff but
Nope. I use a lot of ATF+4 around my home garage.
As it turns out I will end up with about the quantity of oil left over that I can use but none of what I thought was included in the lot. All of what I ended up with is in old school cans except that one case of ATF+3.

Back in the 60s one of my frat bros had a connection at DA Lubricants and we got 20W-20 super cheap. I used it in a 327 Chevy and it worked fine. No starting problems even in Michigan winter....and that was with a carburetor and old style ignition system.

Back