What year did Mobile1 change to a group 3?

Hi All

I like reading this site's info. I once worked in a bearing & lube research lab many, many many years ago.

Quick question: I have a 2004 Cadillac V-6. It's recommended that I use Mobile1. Did Mobile change change it's formulation from synthetic to mineral before or after 2004? I've Googled hi & low & can't find an answer. Also this car has 150K miles & is a cream puff. Is their any benefit to continuing w/ Mobile1? Or would I be better served by changing to a true synthetic? Is Cadillac's recommendation for it fact based or is it just a marketing ploy?

Much thanks
That doesn't matter a bit. Just run a good oil advertised as synthetic. This is something you may find out yourself by trying.

DO you use the max performance of the engine or is it driven modestly?

I would run Valvoline Advanced or the Mobil 1 or whatever suits your fancy.

Do you change you own oil?

I would think about transmission service if not performed, and stop worrying about the oil

That doesn't matter a bit. Just run a good oil advertised as synthetic. This is something you may find out yourself by trying.

DO you use the max performance of the engine or is it driven modestly?

I would run Valvoline Advanced or the Mobil 1 or whatever suits your fancy.

Do you change you own oil?

I would think about transmission service if not performed, and stop worrying about the oil

Looks to be a drive by. Joins, makes this post and then is gone.

for anyone who doesn’t want to read a 45 page paper

Attachments

• D1620EE9-23A5-473F-BA9A-14486A6B9CF7.jpeg
    D1620EE9-23A5-473F-BA9A-14486A6B9CF7.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 80
costlier real synthetic PAO + Esters are used SPARINGLY to meet a spec the lesser fake synthetics can NOT meet + IMO its as usual using the less costly base oils + additives to meet a price point + spec!!! profits rule EVERYTHING!!!

What OEM approvals does your coveted Redline white bottle carry?

Oh wait...

Mobil uses PAO, AN's and Esters in varying quantities in their products, likely to aide in meeting their in-house performance targets. Shell will use GTL and skip those other bases while carrying the same OEM approvals. This is also the case for many other oils on the market as well. Even the difficult to formulate Euro 0w-40's are not all partially PAO-based:
Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 11.35.54 AM.jpg

I recall an individual who has been on this site all along and worked in a lab that does spectral analysis who noticed the change in Sept - Oct of 2005 and an enormous discussion (dozens of pages) ensued. The way that person made it out, before then Mobil 1 would have been eligible for German Vollesynthetische status with over 50% PAO plus AN, after that, Technosynthetische only.
That would be me, but it was 2006 and the 5W-30 grade. Not sure exactly when the change occurred, probably 2005 or 2006.

Who cares?

Today yes. But there was much hubbub and controversy at the time as it was Exxon-Mobil that had attacked (BP) Castrol SYNTEC for using Group III in the late 1990's, filing what amounted to an advertising grievance. Mobil lost in an arbitration ruling that basically stated that synthetic is a product not a process. Many felt betrayed as Mobil showed a bit of hypocrisy here. It should be noted that EM blended the PAO that Castrol had previously purchased from them to blend SYNTEC.

But yes, in the end it doesn't really matter as the best oils are a blend of different processes....

I been on this site today reading the replies. gimmie a little time.

Thanks to all who have answered my post so far.

My original unstated question was; did Mobil 1 change from a group IV or V to a group III after GM's recommendation in 2004. And the answer I'm picking up on is, yes, but it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
To my current knowledge, Mob 1 FS has and is group IVand not III; so there was never a change. If I am wrong then it is disappointing news to me

I think they are one of the few manufacturers who remain honest with their labelling despite loosing their court case against castrol for naming G III a synthertic oil
From what I have seen, currently G III are called: synthetic blend, synthetic technoloyu, semi synthetic

To my current knowledge, Mob 1 FS has and is group IVand not III; so there was never a change. If I am wrong then it is disappointing news to me

I think they are one of the few manufacturers who remain honest with their labelling despite loosing their court case against castrol for naming G III a synthertic oil
From what I have seen, currently G III are called: synthetic blend, synthetic technoloyu, semi synthetic
ExxonMobil uses different base stocks to achieve the required performance for their products. Many are blended with GTL Group III stocks.

There was no court case.

Group III base stocks are synthetic.

Here's some discussion about it from 2012. I tried to find the actual white paper but all the links I found are dead links.

Thanks again to everyone who posted to my question. I going to continue to use Mobil 1 as recommenced by GM. I would like to find out performance tests of various motor oils, as mentioned by some of the folks who posted answers to my question, not out of an actual need but just curiosity. I going to Google a question to that end.

Thanks

Thanks again to everyone who posted to my question. I going to continue to use Mobil 1 as recommenced by GM. I would like to find out performance tests of various motor oils, as mentioned by some of the folks who posted answers to my question, not out of an actual need but just curiosity. I going to Google a question to that end.

Thanks
Performance tests result in licenses, specifications and approvals. If you want to know some of the details of what is in those tests the Afton Specification Handbook is a good place to start.

The Rat Blog posted above is an absolute sewer of misinformation posted and maintained by a deeply ignorant individual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back