What would your choice be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm curious to see the opinions here.

Say you have a car that has 195/70/14 tires.

What tire would you choose?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
What type of car?

What type of use?

How much do you want to spend?

1. 04 Cavalier

2. Mixed driving/3rd car/also "spirted" driving

3 Open.

Price is not a huge issue since the current tires will die of age instead of treadwear...something fun would be cool..

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
$54 each.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...re1=yes&place=7

Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

Those tires above are.

Since you are up in Michigan, need a tire that also does good in snow?

How many miles do (would you like) this set to last?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Those tires above are.

Since you are up in Michigan, need a tire that also does good in snow?

How many miles do (would you like) this set to last?

Kind of...believe it or not, this car sees very little winter driving. Nice to have it just in case, though.

Milage is up in the air. I think that I will have to replace the next set of tires before I hit that mark. (current ones still have half the tread after 5 years). That being said, 50- 70k would be nice...

I've got a set of China made P4s and they are pretty good. Very good in snow. On worn cement road they can get a little noisy.

If I was going to do it again I would have spent the $$ for Goodyear Triple treads. I've got them on the Outback and they (IMO) a better tire (and more expensive one)

The P4s are a 80k tire and I think they will do it.

Bill

I bought some 195/70-14 for my Achieva about a year ago.

I went with the Michelin Harmonys. Smooth, quiet, would likely be quite good in snow judging by their huge tread depth.

That said, the BFG would likely be a better sport tire (as much as it can be constidering its still a 70-series 14"
LOL.gif
) and is a good deal at $54. The treadwear numbers are not that far apart either (740 Mich vs. 620 BFG).

The Uniroyal TigerPaw TR Touring may not be a bad tire either if still available. I had a 185/65-15 set of those on a Saturn years ago and really liked them. They were on backorder when I decided to get the Olds reshod, but I was also offered a good deal on the Michelins by the local Saturn store.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
BFG is a good tire and is made at the same plant with the Michelins...

I think you will find that at the plants where BFG tires are made, that no Michelin tires are made there - and vice versa.

Put another way, the former BFG and Uniroyal plants are making both those brands and that Michelins are made somewhere else.

No they are made at the same plant in South Carolina

Sorry, but according to Tire Rack, 195/70R14 Michelin Harmony's are made in Italy, and a 197/70R14 BFG Traction TA T rated only is made in the US.

But if I look further, the BFG Traction TA's H and V rated are made in the US with a few in Romania, but the T rated are made in Canada, Romania, and a few in the US, while the Michelin Harmony's are made all over - Canada, Great Britian, Italy, and a few sizes in the US. BTW, the Harmony's are S and T rated.

It varies. My Harmonies (s-rated) are Italian, my LX4's on my VUE were made by "BF Goodrich - Ardmore, OK" according to the DOT code. Some BFG's are made in Romania, probably in a "Michelin" plant considering it's in Europe.

I do tend to favor the Mich./BFG/Uni. family since even their cheapest stuff is usually quite decent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: moklock
It varies. My Harmonies (s-rated) are Italian, my LX4's on my VUE were made by "BF Goodrich - Ardmore, OK" according to the DOT code. Some BFG's are made in Romania, probably in a "Michelin" plant considering it's in Europe.

I do tend to favor the Mich./BFG/Uni. family since even their cheapest stuff is usually quite decent.

True....

BFG is a good tire and is made at the same plant with the Michelins...

I was having some Hankooks mounted the other day, replacing some BFGs, and the tire guy (owner of the shop) happened to mention that he thought BFGs and Michelins were now suspect. His opinion was that they had changed their rubber formula: in the wrong way. He said that he has seen many dry-rotting tires and thought that this (the new formula) was perhaps the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back