What would you do? PP, MS5K, MSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Just for fun
smile.gif

I currently have a stash that will last for quite some time thanks to the current AAP clearance...

15 jugs - Pennzoil Platinum 10W30
10 jugs - Mobil Super 5K 5/10W30
02 jugs - Mobil Super Synthetic 10W30 (wasn't part of the clearance)
01 jug - PP HM 10W30
(so far)

Vehicle is a 2018 KIA Sportage 2.4L
I will be alternating the PP and MS5K every oil change. (5,000 mile OCI)

What would you do?

*The Turbo Santa Fe will get PP only

Last edited:
Sorry I misread your post initially...

Those engines are excellent and anything you use out of your list will be fine.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Is there a benefit to using one oil continuously versus alternating? I've never thought so but haven't explored the possibility. The wife's next vehicle may be a turbo as well so i might heed dave1251's suggestion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Is there a benefit to using one oil continuously versus alternating? I've never thought so but haven't explored the possibility. The wife's next vehicle may be a turbo as well so i might heed dave1251's suggestion.

Alternate , if one oil is better than the other, you have a 50/50 chance of using the better oil each oci
lol.gif

I would use the Mobil Super during the summer months. Leave PP for the Winter period where it will be a bit cooler (lol those freezing temps in Florida).

You need to liquidate your assets. Have a BYOFilter oil change block party with your neighbours at cost plus minimal labour charge. That way they're happy, you're happy, then you can continue your next purchasing cycle with peace of mind
laugh.gif

Changes in chemistry increases wear very slightly. But the intent of my purpose was to use the quantity you have less of so you could be more uniformed.

Originally Posted by ndfergy
You need to liquidate your assets. Have a BYOFilter oil change block party with your neighbours at cost plus minimal labour charge. That way they're happy, you're happy, then you can continue your next purchasing cycle with peace of mind
laugh.gif

GREAT POST!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by dave1251

Changes in chemistry increases wear very slightly. But the intent of my purpose was to use the quantity you have less of so you could be more uniformed.

Makes sense if i decide to start getting UOA.

Last edited:
Let's see, if you have 28 jugs and use one jug per oil change, and 5,000 miles per change, that's 140,000 miles. Not sure how much you'll drive it in a year, but if it's 12,000 miles, you don't need to buy oil for almost 12 years.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Let's see, if you have 28 jugs and use one jug per oil change, and 5,000 miles per change, that's 140,000 miles. Not sure how much you'll drive it in a year, but if it's 12,000 miles, you don't need to buy oil for almost 12 years.
confused2.gif

Yup, i'll leave it to my son. Just like the long lived tortoises in the yard.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
IIRC that MS5K is a gud earl.

Id pick one and stick till its done.

gud earl is the best earl.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Just like the debt snowball, I'd run smallest to largest stash wise. Conventional to synthetic every other is a good idea IMO.

Just for fun
smile.gif

I currently have a stash that will last for quite some time thanks to the current AAP clearance...

15 jugs - Pennzoil Platinum 10W30
10 jugs - Mobil Super 5K 5/10W30
02 jugs - Mobil Super Synthetic 10W30 (wasn't part of the clearance)
01 jug - PP HM 10W30
(so far)

Vehicle is a 2018 KIA Sportage 2.4L
I will be alternating the PP and MS5K every oil change. (5,000 mile OCI)

What would you do?

*The Turbo Santa Fe will get PP only

I think alternating is not a bad idea... I got 8 5 qt containers of Mobil Super has well from AAP. I'm just happy to run that for a good long time. And I was pleased how quiet it was in my Nissan Altima 3.5 VQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back