What would you buy ~$30k Performance car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, as the title suggests, in the future (probally next spring) ill be looking for a new car (to replace the C240 thank ***) And i want something more performance orientated, it must meet the following criteria:
-Be offered in a manual
-Be RWD or possibly AWD
-Likely not be made in the USA, sorry, but the only sports car we are good at is the vette, which is too pricey, and uses too much gas.
-Be within my price range (preferably around 30k, no more than say 37, and it would have to be perfect for that price)
-Be 2001 or newer (or New new)
-If used have pretty low miles (less than 50, pref less than 30)
-BE able to live through Rochester winters, with or without snow tires (i can get em if i must) with a driver who isnt awesome in the snow (not me for the first few years.

Here is what ive been thinking:

-Infiniti G35 2Dr, 6Speed
-Nissan 350Z, non roadster.
-Few year old Porsche Boxster S(if possible)
-Few year old Porsche Carrera 996 series, prob out of price range and i worry bout reliability of that engine
-Honda S2000
-BMW M3 (is that possible with these limitations, and how are they relibility wise)
-Mazda RX-8 (prob no chance, but i might look at em)
-Maxda Miata (loaded, seems so cheap compared to s2k)

What do you guys think, feel free to add anything, or tell me what to look out for.

Thanks, i figured you guys would be the people to ask on this one

Wait for the 2007 G35. Another good choice would be the Legacy GT Spec B, that's a gas guzzler.

The Corvette gets extremely good fuel economy, actually. Upper 20s on the HWY is not uncommon, at all.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

268 HP, available 5 or 6-speed manual, all-wheel drive. Priced from 28 to 35K depending on bells and whistles. A 3300# mid-13 second car right out of the box, fair fuel economy 19/25 for 5-speed and 18/24 for the 6-speed. Most of the cars on your list can't touch it in performance for the price.

WRX/STi/Evo?

1993-95 FD3S RX-7? too old and poor mpg's? but a nice one is amazing, and tough to find. ABS but no traction, and a light arse.

BMW M Coupe(Z3)? Look into the US and Euro M engines. E36 M got the poop engine, E46 got the good one.
For the Z3 the engine changed at the same time they changed the taillights (facelift).

Mazdaspeed Miata? ghey?

Skyline? Should be able to register that in NY? The nice ones are AWD...
www.theskylineshop.com
www.thenickeledstork.com/showroom.html

x2 Mazda GTR/GTAe's?
AWD,big-turbo,rally monster. Group B "supercar"....
www.thenickeledstork.com/etc/93mazdagte.html

www.thenickeledstork.com/etc/94mazdagta.html

www.thenickeledstork.com/etc/94mazda.html

No, my male life partner finds me quite active
cheers.gif
128.gif

Why do you drive one?

I just think the Miata is a bit ghey. I wouldn't daily drive one but I'd own one as a track beater or to use for a Locost donor. Ditto the S2000.
I've got a GTX. That's kinda like a turbocharged, miata-powered, 4wd, econobox so I like the miata engine and rear diff...

And the tranny would be nice in a rotary swap for my 510.

Many years ago I bought a used Porsche the parts were very expensive and it seemed to need a lot of them. I got no desire to ever own another Porsche again.

I've test drove a 06 S2000 and 06 MX5 formally called the Miata in the US. The S2000 is a outstanding car. But was somewhat surprised by the new generation 06 MX5. The MX5 I tested had the good suspension package 6 speed ect. For the price the MX5 is a very good deal as far as light weight well handing sports cars.

Having said that if you got the money to spend. The S2000 and its motor is very impressive for a non tubo 4 cylinder.

Ahh forgot to mention

Cant do Mitsubishi, had a terrible experience, swore never to go back

Same goes for chrysler...

And subaru would be tough for me to do...

Thanks though guys, keep the ideas coming, ohh and the MX-5, yea i know the womans car belief behind it...i could pull it off, it would just have to be optioned right.

Thanks again, keep em coming

FJ Cruiser ( http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4772730684029576343&q )
yep -Be offered in a manual
yep -Be RWD or possibly AWD
yep, Japan-Likely not be made in the USA, sorry, but the only sports car we are good at is the vette, which is too pricey, and uses too much gas.
yep, $29k loaded-Be within my price range (preferably around 30k, no more than say 37, and it would have to be perfect for that price)
yep, 2007-Be 2001 or newer (or New new)
yep, new-If used have pretty low miles (less than 50, pref less than 30)
yep, 9+ inch ground clearance-BE able to live through Rochester winters, with or without snow tires (i can get em if i must) with a driver who isnt awesome in the snow (not me for the first few years.

I always liked the thought of an Audi S4 Avant (V8 version) as an all-purpose, all-weather car (wagon, actually). You would fly right under the radar in one of those.
If you had a big, strong shifter arm, the GTO might be enjoyable for a song, relatively. And it too would fly under the radar: every time I see one, I wonder 'what's wrong with that Grand Am?'
I liked the RX-8, and I thought I could live with that every day if I had to. A bit heavy on the oil and gas consumption, but quite roomy and fun to drive. And that engine, wow!
Too bad the new BMW Z4 Coupe will be just outside your $ range. May have to settle for a Laguna Seca Blue M3.

consider a Mercedes certified used C32AMG. there is a nice one on a dealer's lot in Hartford,CT, comes with the MB warantee, has under 30,000 miles and they are asking low $30K.
If I had any money left and my heating oil wasn't going to cost me $3 a gallon this winter, I would consider that car.

quote:

Originally posted by kcryan:

-Be offered in a manual
-Be RWD or possibly AWD
-Likely not be made in the USA, sorry, but the only sports car we are good at is the vette, which is too pricey, and uses too much gas.
-Be within my price range (preferably around 30k, no more than say 37, and it would have to be perfect for that price)
-Be 2001 or newer (or New new)
-BE able to live through Rochester winters, with or without snow tires (i can get em if i must) with a driver who isnt awesome in the snow (not me for the first few years.

Subaru WRX STI. It's practically a real race car.
I believe in 04 or 05 they started installing factory radio's in them. Prior to that it was an option to save weight.

I would check your insurance price before you by. My insurance went up $2.22 (why I remember this I don't know) a day for a WRX and I am 40 with a clean driving record.

An Audi A4 quattro - sedan or avant - or a Subaru Outback XT, with the 250 Hp turbo and AWD.

Both are available with manual transmissions and the most refined AWD systems available....The SUBE is a better snow vehicle, due to the extra ground clearance. The Audi A4 will handle better in good weather and uses better materials.

Any RWD vehicle will be useless in Upstate NY for four months out of the year. Ask "Thatwouldbegreat" what they drive in Vail....

TS

FJ Cruiser, sports car, no. Performance car, yes.

I was in the performance/sports car market just as you, after my dozens of test drives (many same as your list), my list went down to:
FJ Cruiser
Boxster (with zeintec-usa top, i.e. the Cayman top)
A3 (because of turbo and DSG)

I chose the FJ Cruiser. I recommend that you test drive it, if not just for fun.

I look at it this way:
Sports car means great 2d performance (Boxster, A3, 350Z, Miata, etc...)
Performance car means great 3d performance (FJ Cruiser, Cayenne, rally-raised suspension A3/WRX/Evo)

If you are in lots of traffic, you will truly appreciate the excellent visibility of the higher vehicle stance. Speed bumps, small pot holes, drainage trnasition dips in intersections? There is no need to slow down in a great 3d performance car.

Since I have two kids in car seats, I chose the FJ Cruiser, if I had no kids, I would have chosen a rally-raised suspension A3.

If you can give up rear wheel drive you can get a nice Saab 9-3 Aero or 9-5 in that range. Best thing is the new ones have no oil troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back