What would make used oil sticky?

Weird phenomenon- been changing my own oil for 20 years.

I changed the oil in the Trooper for the first time (used Maxlife 5W-30 and a Wix 51334) and the used oil was sticky.

Was hard to wipe off of the funnel, the side of my oil jug, and the floor. The rag stuck and kinda drug instead of wiping cleanly.

The gentleman I bought the Trooper from only put about 2,500 miles on it and never did an oil change because the person he bought it from "just did one."

Oil + Lucas maybe?

Something didn't mix correctly. I wonder how difficult it will be to clean itself up after a couple oil changes. Hopefully it didn't damage the engine.

Something didn't mix correctly. I wonder how difficult it will be to clean itself up after a couple oil changes. Hopefully it didn't damage the engine.
The oil looked fine, just wiped sticky

It definitely runs smoother with fresh oil. Immediately noticeable. I've done about 400 miles on it since the oil change and it is still a bright clean color.

Not sure, but while I usually avoid doing oil changes hot, for once it might be worth doing on the next one.

Maybe tomorrow, before doing a cold start, pull the stick and see if it's still sticky? If it is, I'd run a short OCI. If it's acting normal, then keep an eye on it, but perhaps run to the full OCI. May well be some additive, something that hopefully dilutes well in motor oil (sounds like it).

Now hopefully there was not a good reason for them to add... I'm guessing you would have noticed it by now if some sort of restore in a can was "needed", so my guess is that someone wanted to ward off future issues, talisman in a can. Hopefully...

Maybe run some Rotella T4 about 3X times to clean that old stuff out of engine.

Do you have photos of the truck?

My first guess would be some oil additive like Lucas or possibly the PO added gear oil to the crankcase? Usually that’s done to mask noises.

If it’s good now, I’d drive on. Maybe do another change in the near future though.

Is it possible that you have a coolant leak?
Level hasn't dropped since I got it. The steering gear is leaking pretty good though.

My best guess is some sort of oil stabilizer. These old motors can burn a little and the Lucas Mucus has a pretty big following.

Maybe I'll run a can of BG EPR with the fresh oil and change it again.

About 5 years ago I went into Autozone and they had some oil additive in a can with a peal open top on clearance. It wasn't Lucas and can't remember the name at the moment. But definitely heard of it before. What I remember most about it was how thick and sticky it was. I only poured a little in the engine and poured the rest in a glass jar. Then got rid of it mixed in with used oil.

Did the differentials, t-case, transmission, and another oil change today. Wiping up the gear oil was very similar to how the used oil behaved from the first oil change

I used BG EPR in the crankcase before changing the oil. The oil came out as expected - light amber and not sticky. Added BG MOA to the new Maxlife 5W-30 and BG 44k to the gas tank.

The first filter I removed was full of carbon crud. The new(er) used filter came out clean.

So I guess all is well for now. Need to tackle the steering gear leak and replace the front axle boots so I can actually use the 4WD.

20221203_131347.jpg

Back