What would Be Your Perfect OIL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
OK, Let's change the question a bit, since we know there is no perfect oil.

What qualities would define your perfect oil? IE, what would like to see in an oil to consider it perfect or near perfect?

Pefect oil?

Well, it never wears out, breaks down, or sludges up. It prevents seals from shrinking or swelling. It keeps the inside of the engine looking new. Completely eleminates wear(O wear readings) and prevents corrosion. Only needs a FF/Bypass combo with annual changes(for the filter not the oil.)

And it's free, because it comes with the car from the factory.

So far so good on my amsoil Series 2000 0w30.

Though I don't know how much is the oil or the by-pass filteration system with over 9qts total capacity.

Comming up on 1 year with the whole system, will be changing the full flow filter here soon.

[ July 03, 2002, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: msparks ]

Free Redline 10w-40. Oh, and delivered to my garage by Anna Kournikova. And maybe a tennis lesson with each quart.
smile.gif

Dbrowne1 in the Turbo thread mentioned his definition of a perfect oil.

So here is the question:

What is YOUR idea of the perfect oil and why? What personal biases vs. technical info
would influence your Perfect OIL?

I don't think my perfect oil exists yet. And it may never.

For me I'd want one with a very stable base oil, which can withstand 25k intervals without missing a beat. It would have a perfectly balanced additive package that kept the engine clean while not dropping the TBN too low on a long drain.

It would contain moly in it for sure! Just the right amount too, and it would be the non corrosive type of moly (disulphide).

My perfect oil would be a 10w30 but would have a pour point of -70F (like those old Amsoil 10w30s used to have!) and a flash point of 500F. It wouldn't be a thin 10w30 either, but would have a viscosity of around 11 to 12 cst at 100c. Because it would have that superior base oil I want, it wouldn't drop in viscosity either.

I don't think this oil is possible though, because in addition to all this, I'd like it to cost less than $5 (US dollars) per quart.

I think Red Line just about has it nailed for me.
Wear and cleanliness is my utmost priority. It would be nice if they could keep it from oxidizing as fast as some people say it does, maybe there is a reason they put all that moly in it...or may it doesn't need it...or maybe there is some other reason it oxidizes
confused.gif
confused.gif
It still seems to last at least 7500 miles with NO problems despite that.
Thier website gives good information and sounds like they really do their homework.
This is still pending my analysis however. But all I have seen show impressive wear.
And Red Line also shows unparalleled shear stability. Not one I have seen has thinned out. That is also important to me since I have sheared down M1 15w50 within 5k miles.
My consumption is also over half of what M1 was.

If Nicole Kidman would agree to let the oil drain longer than usual and fill up the oil filter with fresh oil too, then that's my wish also!
wink.gif

If I could obtain jet engine base oil or a Military Tank oil with its advanced esters and blend in a good gasoline additive package (no VII's), I would use it. Low cost (Hmm!, could do that now, but probably wouldn't be legal).

Of course, I'm with Satterfi, except I would have Nocole Kidman do the oil change for me while I watched!!!!

HISTORICAL / THREAD FROM THE DEAD ALERT!!!

I was enjoying some very old threads this evening, and encountered this one. Note that many of the participants have far outlasted even the best of oils.
wink.gif
Seriously though, I thought this would be a good one to revisit, more than a half-decade having passed since it went cold.

So, has the perception of what would make a perfect oil changed? Back when I joined, I'd probably have agreed with Patman's comments re viscosity, but today, I'd probably revise my definition of ideal down by at least two cSt, at least in general. Yes, I realize that different engines still need what's right for them, thick or thin.

A 0W40 built by you to meet BMW spec HTHS min 3.5 with the best anti wear package available. I would buy whatever the cost. Molakule I'm waiting as are many thousands of others....s

A thin 10W30 that is Ester based so the HT/HS is still high. With a strong HDEO additive package. Oh and Redlines usual amount of moly.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
A thin 10W30 that is Ester based so the HT/HS is still high. With a strong HDEO additive package. Oh and Redlines usual amount of moly.

Isn't what you described, Redline?
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: mcrn

Isn't what you described, Redline?
LOL.gif

Pretty much. The only thing im not sure about is..... is their 10W30 a thin 30wt? What I have thought about doing if its not is mixing their 5W20 with the 10W30. I have a 6 quart sump so I think a mix of 3 and 3 should be good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Anything that cleans and protects well which is just about any oil out there.

Are you saying that we've achieved the Nirvana state in which all oils are now perfect (SA products excluded...)???

Seriously though, I'd think that the next frontier would be service life of the normally priced oils. Of course, a closely related issue would be to get customers to actually believe in the viability of their long-life oils.

My perfect oil = $2/q 5w-30 that goes the 5000-6000 miles I require between changes. Perfect for my climate, perfect service interval, perfect price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back