What will happen to brands owned by Mann-Hummel? (Wix & Purolator)

Fram (First Brands) might disagree with you. I wonder if sales numbers are available?

All these brand names are just that, brand names.
Ask any car enthusiast/technician about Fram, they will tell you they are the worst filter on planet earth.

Me personally I'd take an OCOD over a Wix XP/Mobil 1 EP any day. Oil filters are supposed to filter oil, and a whole lot of filters out there are not very good at doing that, Fram is.

Ask any car enthusiast/technician about Fram, they will tell you they are the worst filter on planet earth.

Me personally I'd take an OCOD over a Wix XP/Mobil 1 EP any day. Oil filters are supposed to filter oil, and a whole lot of filters out there are not very good at doing that, Fram is.
I believe there was a change in ownership at Fram, away from Honeywell ("bad") to Trico? - at which point, they became excellent filters. Not sure if it was Trico.. yeah, First Brands/Trico. https://www.fram.com/team-fram/late...bpi-and-champion-laboratories-inc-champ-labs/

I believe there was a change in ownership at Fram, away from Honeywell ("bad") to Trico? - at which point, they became excellent filters. Not sure if it was Trico.. yeah, First Brands/Trico. https://www.fram.com/team-fram/late...bpi-and-champion-laboratories-inc-champ-labs/
The OG Ultra has been around for the last what, at least 12 years? LONG before the First Brands acquisition, which was VERY recent. They were the one that changed the Ultra to its current form.

The OG Ultra has been around for the last what, at least 12 years? LONG before the First Brands acquisition, which was VERY recent. They were the one that changed the Ultra to its current form.
*edited because it was wrong*

FRAM introduced the OG Ultra in 2000, as the XG (Xtended Guard):

So it's been 22 years!

I should have mentioned, it was sometime in the 2000s that change in ownership occurred, Trico I think.. you are correct, I should have mentioned this info was going back a ways, and why our brains hurt when we hear Fram referred to as a bad product.
*edited: I was not as into oil and filtration when I was 18 when this happened, as you say, 2000.*
Thank you, OVERKILL.

First Brands (TRICO) bought the FRAM Group in July of 2020.

Before First Brands FRAM was part of the Rank Group (as the FRAM Group):

Rank bought FRAM in 2011:

Prior to 1999 FRAM was owned by Honeywell, who was merged with AlliedSignial in 1999.

So it looks like the XG is an AlliedSignal era FRAM product.

First Brands (TRICO) bought the FRAM Group in July of 2020.

Before First Brands FRAM was part of the Rank Group (as the FRAM Group):

Rank bought FRAM in 2011:

Prior to 1999 FRAM was owned by Honeywell, who was merged with AlliedSignial in 1999.

So it looks like the XG is an AlliedSignal era FRAM product.
Yes, https://www.autoserviceworld.com/trico-acquires-fram/

My info dates were a little off, apologies on being all over the place.

They say Fram didnt have quality issues after leaving Honeywell, if there were ever any. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Fram and I really enjoy their Ultra.

They say Fram didnt have quality issues after leaving Honeywell, if there were ever any. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Fram and I really enjoy their Ultra.
Yes, sorry, 2019, 2020 was when they acquired two other companies. So yes, Honeywell-era FRAM filters were fine as far as I know, and the AlliedSignal era ones were good, as that's when we got the original Ultra. Not much changed under Rank as far as I know, but we've unfortunately seen some changes under First Brands.

Yes, sorry, 2019, 2020 was when they acquired two other companies. So yes, Honeywell-era FRAM filters were fine as far as I know, and the AlliedSignal era ones were good, as that's when we got the original Ultra. Not much changed under Rank as far as I know, but we've unfortunately seen some changes under First Brands.
I apologize too, hey, Mobil 1 even had API SL products with red caps on them when all that went down away from Honeywell 🤣🤣

I do wonder, if one of the Fram Ultras I grab from Walmart will be one without the steel mesh cylinder inside, that has caused consternation. That is the one that was said to have the extra pleats as a result.. you even told me about how it could be good and could maybe not be good once!

Fram & Champion Labs were together before under Rank, before 2020-that's when all the cross pollination started happening, Ecore center tubes, with or without fiber endcaps, etc.; then, they broke them up. First Brands/Trico has gotten the band back together again, but their cost cutting is starting to degrade them. Prices certainly haven't gone down any, though! The Rank Group times are looking more and more like the Fram glory days, CQ Blue M1 clones, the mileage extension of the Ultra from 7K, to 10K, and then 20K, the addition of silicone ADBVs to Extra Guards for no additional cost, etc. All things that Trico seems to be cutting out for extra $.

I apologize too, hey, Mobil 1 even had API SL products with red caps on them when all that went down away from Honeywell 🤣🤣

I do wonder, if one of the Fram Ultras I grab from Walmart will be one without the steel mesh cylinder inside, that has caused consternation. That is the one that was said to have the extra pleats as a result.. you even told me about how it could be good and could maybe not be good once!

I've posted extensively on the changes in a few threads now. It's still an excellent filter with fantastic efficiency (as long as it doesn't tear) but the change from a fully synthetic media to a blend is a downgrade in terms of materials used.

I do wonder, if one of the Fram Ultras I grab from Walmart will be one without the steel mesh cylinder inside, that has caused consternation.
the older wire backed filters mention the wire backing on the box. New style says something
about 'sealing' instead.

My 2¢

the older wire backed filters mention the wire backing on the box. New style says something
about 'sealing' instead.

My 2¢

A while back, when the switch over was taking place, some guys found the old wire backed Ultra in the new boxes. As time goes on, the chances of finding those will be harder to find.

Back