What will happen to brands owned by Mann-Hummel? (Wix & Purolator)

Gar

Mann-Hummel manufactures their own filters and many (if not all) of the Mobil-1 filters--and also owns WIX and Purolator brands. Many of you have stated those (Wix and Purolator) are what you use. Given the common ownership, does Mann-Hummel let those brands design and manufacture independently to a higher standard across the board? Are you confident that those products are and will remain of higher quality and independently designed or are those brands fated to just become another item differentiated by marketing rather than by technology or quality?

Don't expect to see much technological innovations for automotive oil filters for ICE. Cabin air filters will become more affected by marketing, filters that contain and screen bad vibes, nasty thoughts, improve the curb appeal of your driveway by preventing the nasty smell of the reminder of that burrito you had at lunch.

As long as people continue to buy those brands based on loyalty or perception of quality then M&H will keep labeling them as such. 99.9% of buyers don’t even look inside oil filters.
The general public is of the opinion that Fram is garbage that will ruin your engine, Wix is top notch, and M1 is top notch. I get down voted into oblivion on various car subreddits if I even mention Fram being a decent filter.

As long as people continue to buy those brands based on loyalty or perception of quality then M&H will keep labeling them as such. 99.9% of buyers don’t even look inside oil filters.
You can't look inside to see filtering efficiency. I don't really care if it has louvers or holes as long as it filters well. And theirs generally don't.

The general public is of the opinion that Fram is garbage that will ruin your engine, Wix is top notch, and M1 is top notch. I get down voted into oblivion on various car subreddits if I even mention Fram being a decent filter.
Yeah, perception and reality don't always coincide these days, in many ways. 😄 YouTube is kind of the misconception hypnotizing tool of today.

Fram (First Brands) might disagree with you. I wonder if sales numbers are available?

All these brand names are just that, brand names.

You can't look inside to see filtering efficiency. I don't really care if it has louvers or holes as long as it filters well. And theirs generally don't.

Tell that to the average consumer who might believe a heavier filter is the better one or the one that has a nut on the case.

Tell that to the average consumer who might believe a heavier filter is the better one or the one that has a nut on the case.
You talking about deez nuts?

1642983692538.jpg

1642983705952.jpg

Mann-Hummel manufactures their own filters and many (if not all) of the Mobil-1 filters--and also owns WIX and Purolator brands. Many of you have stated those (Wix and Purolator) are what you use. Given the common ownership, does Mann-Hummel let those brands design and manufacture independently to a higher standard across the board? Are you confident that those products are and will remain of higher quality and independently designed or are those brands fated to just become another item differentiated by marketing rather than by technology or quality?
Mann has already started to cheapen Wix filters :sneaky:
Yup, Auto extra are all made either in Mexico or China. Made in Mexico ones have louvers; China made ones have holes

I think they’re ALL destined to be made in China or another 3rd world country (Mexico, Vietnam, etc.), the amount of money to be squeezed out is just too great. Premium Guard has already shown it can be done reasonably well, and (as mentioned above) not too many people really seem to notice, nor care.

I think they’re ALL destined to be made in China or another 3rd world country (Mexico, Vietnam, etc.), the amount of money to be squeezed out is just too great. Premium Guard has already shown it can be done reasonably well, and (as mentioned above) not too many people really seem to notice, nor care.
I’ve been seeing lots of China made ECOGARD filters on stuff at work. They hold up pretty good, the ones I’ve cut apart lately

Are any of those countries mentioned actually third world countries?

I’m pretty well travelled too and I guess we have different standards compared to say most of Africa, or countries like Haiti and Bangladesh.
Yeah, probably above some of those, but I feel safer in most places in Africa than I do in all but a few places in Mexico. Vietnam is up and coming. Getting better by the minute. But they've still got a ways to go out in the countryside.

Back