What weight oil over and over

Well Mr. Measureman,
It seems like a lot of people here seem to think they know better than the engineers that designed the cars. They will also use CAFE requirements to back up their claims and think that the auto manufacturers are out to get us all for better mpg figures. Lots of tin foil hat wearers :)
What if...........

thehat01.jpg

How dare you insult a motor oil by calling out it’s weight! It’s 2022 and the motor oils demand to no longer be weight shamed. Come Monday morning, HR will have a mandatory sensitivity training class to address the emotional impact of referring to the oils by their weight, instead of their viscosity. 😏
Sir Mix-a-Lot liked thick oil. :LOL:

Both mean the same thing (ie, a viscosity), but "grade" is the most correct term. SAE J300 calls it "Oil Viscosity Grade".
But of course. :)

I'm still stuck on the fellows that say, an oil, let's say 5W-30, is a "5 when it is cold, and warms up to a 30." One of them even tried to argue with me about it. 🤣🤣

But of course. :)

I'm still stuck on the fellows that say, an oil, let's say 5W-30, is a "5 when it is cold, and warms up to a 30." One of them even tried to argue with me about it. 🤣🤣
The 5W rating is different than the 30 rating, can't compare the two ... so it is a "5" when cold (W for Winter) and a "30" when hot. Obviously all oil is thicker when its cold.

The 5W rating is different than the 30 rating, can't compare the two ... so it is a "5" when cold (W for Winter) and a "30" when hot. Obviously all oil is thicker when its cold.
Yes, but some people you cant tell them they are wrong, even when they are wrong, they go into the whole "I don't need you to _____ _____" etc and you are reminded that one of the things that sucks about arguing with the fool is that they are not smart enough to know that you have the better of them.

Yes, but some people you cant tell them they are wrong, even when they are wrong, they go into the whole "I don't need you to _____ _____" etc and you are reminded that one of the things that sucks about arguing with the fool is that they are not smart enough to know that you have the better of them.
Welcome to the internet ... 😂

I'm so over the oil grade thing. When the same Honda engine built to the same specs on the same assembly line can spec 20 to 50 grade dependung on the market it's sold in and guys in the courier business have 800,000 mi on 20 grade... the it's killing your engine mantra doesn't convince me.

Back