What weight oil for a 2000 Ford Focus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I doing an oil change for the parents on their Focus. The oil filler cap says use 5W20 which has generally been what I've put in the car in the past. However looking at the emissions sticker on the hood it says 5W30. The Owners manual is long gone and the Ford dealer says use 5W20. It has the 2.0L Zetec engine and 170,000 miles and runs great. Is 5W20 really okay for this car in the summer heat? Reading on the Ford Focus forums it seems that the spec was changed for the 2001 model year.

I would pour in 1/2 5w20 1/2 5w30
Use 1/2 Motorcraft 5w20 semi synth, with 1/2 SuperTech 5w30 synthetic. MC is 11.50 a jug, and ST is 17.00 a jug.
Sometimes NAPA synth goes on sale for 3$ a quart, and if you stocked up from that sale, then use NAPA, by all means.
group 3 oils are more polar than 1 or 2, that's why I like to mix, and then you get better film strength that way. the above mix give a group 2+/3 oil, with super good cold flow properties, high film strength, and excellent shear stability.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
I would pour in 1/2 5w20 1/2 5w30
Use 1/2 Motorcraft 5w20 semi synth, with 1/2 SuperTech 5w30 synthetic.

Why in the world would you do that? You don't know how the additives work with each other.

Despite what some think, the oil formulators know what they are doing. No point whatsoever in mixing oils, pick a viscosity and run it.

Use the recommended 5w-20. Drive the car for a couple zillion miles. Enjoy a modest, but measurable, fuel savings.

It's not as if this 20 wt oil stuff is some mysterious liquid that just broke upon the automotive scene yesterday. It has been around since the 1940s (probably earlier, I just haven't seen references to it before), and simply has not caused massive waves of engine failures. In more modern form, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, etc. have been calling for its use for almost ten years. Other than a small minority of folks who continue to fear the stuff beyond any and all reason, it's being used by millions, without problems.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Use the recommended 5w-20. Drive the car for a couple zillion miles. Enjoy a modest, but measurable, fuel savings.

It's not as if this 20 wt oil stuff is some mysterious liquid that just broke upon the automotive scene yesterday. It has been around since the 1940s (probably earlier, I just haven't seen references to it before), and simply has not caused massive waves of engine failures. In more modern form, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Chrysler, etc. have been calling for its use for almost ten years. Other than a small minority of folks who continue to fear the stuff beyond any and all reason, it's being used by millions, without problems.

+1

That focus will be happy to run either....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: ekpolk

+1

That focus will be happy to run either....

+2

Ford published a TSB recommending 5W20 in most everything built about 10 years prior to their introduction of 5W20 including your car.

You can use either one, but 5W20 has more advantages than disadvantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back