What viscosity oil for 1985 Toyota Camry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a well maintained '85 Camry with the 2.0 gas engine, 93K miles.

The manual specs anywhere from 5W-30 to 20W-50 depending on ambient temps. Here in Las Vegas we will be starting our HOT season soon, up to 120 degrees F.

What say you?

How about GC 0w-30, as it is almost a 40wt from what I understand. 20w-50 just seems a little thick to me. The manual specs 5w-30 only for cooler temps.

No idea what the previous owner ran in it, and it has a pro-line filter on it right now. I will be running OEM filters if that makes a difference.

I was actually going to suggest Rotella T 10W-30, but GC 0W-30 seems like a very good choice for this application.
thumbsup2.gif

I would try a 10w-30 or 40.

Mobil 1 makes some awesome High Mileage oils that have killer add packs in them.

That manual was written a quarter of a century ago.
Oils have changed for the better.

The GC 0-30 should be great. Or try a 0-40, 5-40, or 15-40 in those hot conditions.

Thanks for all the advice, will give the GC a try first as my FLAPS was out of Mobil 1 high mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jimvegas
Just picked up a well maintained '85 Camry with the 2.0 gas engine, 93K miles.

The manual specs anywhere from 5W-30 to 20W-50 depending on ambient temps. Here in Las Vegas we will be starting our HOT season soon, up to 120 degrees F.

What say you?

How about GC 0w-30, as it is almost a 40wt from what I understand. 20w-50 just seems a little thick to me. The manual specs 5w-30 only for cooler temps.

No idea what the previous owner ran in it, and it has a pro-line filter on it right now. I will be running OEM filters if that makes a difference.

jimvegas,

For it's entire life my old but recently sold 89' Camry used Mobil 1 10W-30. Dispite the range your climate doesn't get that cold compared to people back on the East side. Here in Los Angeles it's pretty much the same so I'd say your good with 10W-30.

Durango

I know a guy who ran his out to 300,000mi using nothing but castrol HD-30. It was sold some years back, but is still running today on the same oil. It must have at least 350,000mi at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back