What viscosity for a 396 BB chevy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I'm not sure what viscosity I should be running in the 396 BB in my 70 Monte Carlo. I'm currently running 10W-30 Mobil drive clean in it but am wondering if this is too thin since the engine sounds kind of noisy after running the car awhile.

The engine was rebuilt about 8,000 miles ago but I'm not sure how good of a job the guy did.

At a hot idle in gear, I'm only running about 15 psi oil pressure and about 45 psi at about 65mph.

Any input appretiated

Wayne

Try 10w40 or 15w40 .The oil pressure seems good. Try the heavier grade oil can't hurt this close to summer time.

10W30 in a 396 BBC?? Your a gamer man than me (or any of my countrymen for that matter!). I've owned a few Chev and Ford Cleveland engined vehicles over the last three decades and 20W50 in all of 'em. Even if just rebuilt 10W30 seems a bit thin IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by wtd:
I'm not sure what viscosity I should be running in the 396 BB in my 70 Monte Carlo. I'm currently running 10W-30 Mobil drive clean in it but am wondering if this is too thin since the engine sounds kind of noisy after running the car awhile.

The engine was rebuilt about 8,000 miles ago but I'm not sure how good of a job the guy did.

At a hot idle in gear, I'm only running about 15 psi oil pressure and about 45 psi at about 65mph.

Any input appretiated

Wayne

(Not your fault, but I think this is officially the 100th time I have recommended this!)

Chevron Delo 400 15w-40

Great Stuff! $6.17/gallon at Wal-Mart.

I don't usually run a 15W-40 or 20W-50 here in the winter because one year when this car had a 350 in it, I was running 20W-50 and the thing would not start for anything. The oil was just to thick. I had to drain the 20W-50 out and put 10W-30 in to get it to start. I may try one of these heavier weights for the summer. Thanks for the input.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back