What vehicle fluids do you keep in your vehicle just in case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extra gas? Oil? Antifreeze?.....etc.

For me I may occasionally keep some washer fluid in the trunk if I couldn't quite finish the jug.

None, except a bottle of water for me, I get thirsty when I drive. I never let my fuel tank go below 1/4, the engines don't burn oil, I top up with windshield washer fluid regularly.

In my Jeep I usually carry 5 gallons of gas and engine oil, trans fluid and gear oil. Along with brake cleaner. Usually stuff you might need after an offroad trip.

It also has a propensity to randomly start burning through gas like nobody's business. And it's done it a few times where I have barely made it to the gas station. When you're on 1/2 tank in the middle of nowhere and it suddenly starts getting 3MPG (glowing cats and all) that's a problem!

It hasn't been doing it as bad since I started adding TCW3 to the gas, but my truck has burnt 1 quart of oil in less than 200 miles when towing in the past. I usually have enough oil in it to make it home from 4 or 500 miles away if it decides to start doing that again.

The farm trucks each have:

1 gal oil (+ one spare filter)
1 gal 50/50 antifreeze
1 qt ATF
1 qt gear oil
1 qt PS fluid
1 qt anti-gel (for the diesel)
1 can penetrating oil

These trucks are used as service trucks for other equipment . . . but they are also the primary consumers of the various fluids. All that stuff makes life easier when you rely on old equipment.

I keep a plastic rubbermaid container in my trunk which contains 1 quart of oil, one small bottle of water, a small took kit, some rags and towels, some rope, a pair of pliers, a small adjustable wrench, and some tape.
I have also started carrying a second larger (2 quart) bottle of water in the back seat, next to the fire extinguisher. This water is drinkable, but is more there for instances where I need to top off the coolant or rinse something off.

The car is well-maintained, so anything else is unnecessary, for the most part.

No fluids, but the OBDII scanner lives in the trunk of the S70. About to turn 270k on the odo, so I sort of expect the check engine light to come on at any time!

Depends on the car. When I frequently owned lots of beaters, some burned oil, some had very old coolant hoses, etc. So I carried extra water and anti-freeze, extra motor oil, etc. And at least twice I had to refill a coolant system on the road....so the extra gallons of water I carried came in handy. Again, it depends on your vehicle and how from home or civilization you are. One time in 1977 I was driving through Death Valley and was on the gas gauge "E" line. And essentially no small gas stations were open as it was Sunday. The last one I passed was at 1/4 tank and I figured I'd have plenty of choices further up. I limped 35 miles at or below "Empty" before getting a refill in the next big town. A gallon of gas in the trunk would have been nice...and peace of mind. I was only 23 then and not very "road wise."

When I did shows with my '69 Roadrunner at up to 300 miles away, I carried spare bottles of all the major engine bay fluids, brake, ATF, coolant, engine oil. You never know. And a few times I needed them. In fact I carried a barrage of spare parts for the car from an extra carb, distributor unit, alternator, voltage regulator, ballast resistor, plugs, wires, points, coil, and about every electrical item that could conceivably "kill" the car.

For a newer vehicle without any know issues, I wouldn't carry any extra fluid. But from experience, having a gallon of drinking water in the car comes in handy for drinking, cleaning off bird poo, emergency fills to washer reservoir or coolant in a pinch. Why wouldn't you carry that at all times?

Last edited:
Nothing. My Rav4 goes through oil so I'd have to carry a qt per thousand miles for any extended road trip.

None of my cars leak or burn enough oil that they'd need a top off during a trip. Unless it's the Camry, it might need a quart of oil by the time I were to get to New York. But it isn't going on any trips that far out anyways.

1qt of Mobil1 EP which is what I run and another of whatever Mobil1, Pennzoil, QS or Valvoline Synthetic or Blend I got for $2 on clearance at the Great Wall of China mart for the occasional fellow travelers soliciting help in parking lots. About a gallon of water in a few water bottles, WD40, Hoppes Elite Synthetic Lube (works for most things), Redline SI-1. Things I now think I should add include antifreeze and brake cleaner cause those are always good to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back