what type of oil for high mileage car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently given a 1990 Saab 900 with 200,000 miles. It seems to run fine, but I don't know much about its prior history or maintenance, never mind what type of oil was used and how often it was changed.

I gave it a tune-up and changed the oil and filter. I used Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30 for no particular reason. I'm not exactly mechanically inclined, but I'm trying hard to educate myself. I figured it made sense to use high mileage oil considering how many miles are on the odometer.

I found a quart of dino oil 10w-30 in the trunk so assume that is what was being used for the past few years at least. I have no idea as to condition of the engine, whether it is clean or full of sludge.

I'm trying to figure out what the best type of oil and viscosity I should use taking into consideration the high miles and my local climate; I live in Connecticut.

I was considering using an auto rx flush, but I'm concerned that it might clean away deposits that are actually acting like seals. I was warned that I might develop leaks this way. I've also been warned to stay away from synthetics, again because I might develop leaks since the oil is thinner.

Most people over at saabnet.com seem to agree that older Saabs like thicker oil.

As you can see, I'm quite confused as to whether I should stick with what I'm using or make a switch. Also should I try Auto RX or am I asking for trouble.

If anyone could provide some advice, I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Louis

[ January 05, 2004, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: lpass ]

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
grin.gif

If the current oil is working well, I'd stick with it.

That MaxLife 10w-30 is pretty thick and will help condition the seals. What oil you use is a highly personal choice based on your budget, change habits, overall conditon of the car, your climate etc. The Forum is split into Castrol guys and Mobil guys and some who like boutique oils. I'd say stick with a semi-synth Hi-Mi oil, Pennzoil is a favourite and I have been using the Castrol GTX Hi-Mi, either one is worth an extra buck a quart. As far as additives, I would use maybe some Valvoline stuff since you are running their oil already, beyond that don't bother. Your better oils will clean well on their own. A nice heavy full synth with good cleaning and esters for seals is Syntec 5w-40 if that interests you for winter.

Just because an engine has higher mileage (over 75000 according to Pennzoil) does not mean it should have a high mileage or higher viscosity oil. For me this would only be true if it was using excessive oil and or had some seal seepage. I see no reason why at 150,000 miles or 200,000 one cannot use the same viscosity oil as when it was new.

Now, on your engine, you just got it, see what happens with the same oil that the previous owner used, it worked. RX may be in the future but these high mileage oils are marketing hype for the most part and IMO don't buy into them unless it is a last resort.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Just because an engine has higher mileage (over 75000 according to Pennzoil) does not mean it should have a high mileage or higher viscosity oil.

You could take Penzoil's advice on higher mileage oil to mean "If you use Penzoil, you need to switch to an oil for worn engines at 75,000 miles."
pat.gif
crushedcar.gif

I'm sure Mobil, Castrol, and the various botique oil companies would not agree that engines show enough wear to require changing oil type in 75,000 miles on their oil. Penzoil must be talking about premature wear using their own products.
lol.gif

You could do a search using "higher mileage" or similar phrases here to see a LOT of discussion on these oils. Many threads.

I would not do any radical cleaning. Any cleaning agent like Auto-RX, Neutra or the like should be used in low doses. Big chucks of crud suddenly dislodged into the oil supply can plug up passages, pick-up screens, etc ... Best to do it gradually.

You'd be fine with Pennzoil High Mileage vehicle in 10W30 year 'round in Connecticut but if you want, you might switch to 5W30 for the winter months. Unless you notice consumption skyrocket, you'll be fine.

The Pennzoil HMV oils are a bit thicker than most oils in their weight grade.

XS650, 75,000 miles has become the "market agreed upon" point at which the major players believe you might benefit from switching to an ester-fortified "high mileage" oil. Valvoline came up with it first.

--- Bror Jace

The "breaking off sludge" theory is somewhat over-stated and only applies to shock treatments of mineral spirits or diesel oil. A slow cleaning of a detergent oil is harmles in that regard. The pour-point of the Delvac might be a problem in sub 20 degree weather. I would get a Hi-Mi oil in there, it is specificly made for a car like yours, try the 10w-30. Save the Delvac or Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40 for summer.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:

XS650, 75,000 miles has become the "market agreed upon" point at which the major players believe you might benefit from switching to an ester-fortified "high mileage" oil. Valvoline came up with it first.

--- Bror Jace

Do any of the reputable companies subscribe to that?

Define "reputable companies."

Every one I know about which sells a "high mileage" oil uses 75,000 miles as the point at which they recommend everyone switch to their high mileage formula.

Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc ...

--- Bror Jace

I've been reading a lot of good things about Delvac 1300 Super. It seems to offer the same protection as the high mileage oils, but I worry about the detergent. Would the detergent break off gunks of sluge and possibly block passages?

I used Valvoline Durablend for years. When I saw Maxlife for cars with 75,000 miles on it I ignored it, even though two of my vehicles had well over 75K. However, later when I learned how an oil earns an "Energy Conserving" rating, I suddenly was very interested in the so-called "high mileage" oils. Valvoline's website says Maxlife is fine for new and rebuilt engines. The 75,000 may be marketing hype, but it may also be a convenient way for them to slip us a better oil (definitely better than AllClimate and maybe better than Durablend) under the guise that it's for old beaters. I don't need no energy conserving oil. If I wanted to conserve energy I'd lighten up my foot from the pedal a bit and keep my tire pressure up, oh yeah, and I'd get a little front-wheel-driver instead of a full sized pickup.

Have seen lots of people use 15W-40 truck oil in older cars with good results. Can also be used year round in a warmer climate in a newer car.
cheers.gif

"it may also be a convenient way for them to slip us a better oil under the guise that it's for old beaters."

I find it kinda funny in this age of "fake" Group III "synthetics" and "synthetic blends" or PAO blends with only 10% of them a Group IV synthetic, we have oils selling for $2 - $2.25 which are a REAL Group V/mineral oil blend even though most aren't labeled as such.

If you are price conscious and not interested in going more than 4,000-5,000 miles between oil & filter changes, I'd use one of these "higher mileage" oils and forget the others entirely.

--- Bror Jace

I guess I'm still a bit confused. I've been searching through the boards and Castrol GTX high Mileage and Penzoil High mileage seem to get good reviews.

Should I use one of these 10w-30 year round? I live in Southwestern Connecticut (near New York City), it doesn't really get to cold or too hot.

Is there any advantage to going to the Delvac 1300 for Spring, Summer and fall or should I just stick with a high mileage oil.

Like I stated earlier, I currently use Valvoline whoch seems to take a beating around here. Unfortunately, I have nothing to compare the Valvoline against. I changed the oil the same day I got the car so cannot copmare its efficiency against against anything else.

I just want to be sure I'm doing all I cab to extend the life of the vehicle. I'm not particulary interested in extended drains as I plane to change the oil ever 3k and I'm not cost conscience either, though I'm not going to spring for Redline or anything like that. I also don't plan on switching to a synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back