What type of motor oil should I get for my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I bought a (2018) Hyundai Kona this January. I am at 3300 miles with it.

According to the oil cap, it uses SAE 5w-30 engine oil.

I only have 2 questions:

1, Is it synthetic oil and if so then when should I change it? It probably can do 6000 miles right?

2, I am living in a tropical area where the weather is always around 80-90F (No winter), should I get a different viscosity?

Thanks

IMG_20190413_171944.jpg

5w-30 would be fine, also a 10w-30 in Guam's tropical climate will also work well.
It does not HAVE to be synthetic, but it could be. With conventional oil, 6,000 miles is as far as I would go. Synthetic can go farther.

Just stick with what your owners manual calls for.

If you have the 1.6T (turbo) I would use synthetic.....if you have the 2.0 NA engine you can use either syn. or dino without problems.

Originally Posted by wjeszy
Hi, I bought a (2018) Hyundai Kona this January. I am at 3300 miles with it.

According to the oil cap, it uses SAE 5w-30 engine oil.

I only have 2 questions:

1, Is it synthetic oil and if so then when should I change it? It probably can do 6000 miles right?

2, I am living in a tropical area where the weather is always around 80-90F (No winter), should I get a different viscosity?

Thanks

If it is a turbo Kona Hyundai allows 5W-40 as per manual. I use Mobil1 5w-30 ESP because it is on the thick side of the 5-30 scale and I am on boost a bit more then most. ( I own a 1.6T AWD lowered Kona) FYI for some of you, If you had a larger different Hyundai with the 2.0T motor, there is a TSB from Hyundai that those motors need 5w-40 full time, up from 5w-30.

Thanks for the replies but no one answered my first question.
How can I tell what oil is in the car and when to do the first oil change?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies but no one answered my first question.
How can I tell what oil is in the car and when to do the first oil change?

No offense, but did your car not come with a manual? That will have the interval listed. What oil came in it? Does it matter? Maybe 5W-30 made by SOPUS? I know Hyundai had a thing with Quaker State for a while...

Yes, of course, I just don't really understand it. I am an IT person and I don't know much about cars.
In the manual, there are different interval charts. Some suggest less shorter and longer change intervals. Which one to use? And also it does not say if I have synthetic or regular in the car?

Last edited:
Yes, of course, I just don't really understand it. I am an IT person and I don't know much about cars.
In the manual, there are different interval charts. Some suggest less shorter and longer change intervals. Which one to use? And also it does not say if I have synthetic or regular in the car?

I would change the oil now to flush out any of the debris from the initial break-in, then go the longer interval if using synthetic oil. I would go the shorter interval if using conventional or blend. If it doesn't say you have to use synthetic you don't. Personally, I change my own oil so I do not see the point of using conventional when I can get full syn at about the same cost with rebates...

It's probably synthetic. Where was the Kona assembled at?

Well how many hours does it take you to drive across Guam on the Freeway? How much Freeway driving do you do if the answer is zero you use the sever service schedule.

How can I tell that?

It would say on the window sticker, if the dealer/salesman left it in your paperwork. More than likely, it might have been a syn-blend but it doesn't really matter...

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Well how many hours does it take you to drive across Guam on the Freeway? How much Freeway driving do you do if the answer is zero you use the sever service schedule.

Every time someone mentions Guam I am reminded of Hank Johnson, the Rep from Georgia who made that ultimately stupid suggestion about that island tipping over.

A thousand facepalms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back