What tools do you take with you to the Salvage Yd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the auto salvage yard today. It's been many years since I've had this sort of fun, but I packed a socket and open end wrench set with some screwdrivers and found exactly the part I needed. It was held on with Torx head bolts.

Went back home and got what I needed and got it out I'm happy to say. Just wondering what do you guys take with you?

Im sorry to report here in New Jersey there are no good salvage yards around they took that joy away from us.
frown.gif

Screwdriver set, socket set, hammer, pliers and maybe those torx. alot of things are held on by torx. Also its good to have a specialty bit set. A lot of manufacturers put on a weird fastener so you cant remove it yourself.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Im sorry to report here in New Jersey there are no good salvage yards around they took that joy away from us.
frown.gif

Really? I was at one by Toms River not that long ago...

I usually take:

- A multi bit screwdriver
- Side cutters
- Pliers
- A portable socket set with small assorted wrenches (includes torx and hex)
- Mechanix gloves

At 57 with bad knees I call ahead and have it pulled waiting for me. The junk yards are disappearing around Chicago also but some are still here.

Socket set, wrench set, pliers, vise grips, screwdrivers, hacksaw, side cutters, pry bars, and most importantly a BFH.

This is what I take:

1 EA. 3/8 drive socket rail (metric)
1 EA. 1/4 drive socket rail (metric)
1 EA. 1/4 drive socket rail (SAE)
5 EA. 1/4 drive extensions
5 EA. 3/8 drive extensions
3 EA. 1/4 drive ratchets
2 EA. 3/8 drive ratchets
1 EA. 1/2 drive ratchet
1 EA. 10mm wrench
1 EA. 17mm wrench
1 EA. 18mm wrench
1 EA. Nose pliers
1 EA. Side cutters
1 EA. Cable cutters
2 EA. Cobra pliers
1 EA. Williams screwdriver
1 EA. Screwdriver bits rack
1 EA. 1/8 Craftsman screwdriver
1 EA. 1/4 drive spin handle
1 EA. Pick
1 EA. Flashlight
1 EA. Telescopic magnet
1 EA. Steel ruler
1 EA. Box cutter
1 EA. Long #2 Phillips
1 EA. Pry bar
1 EA. Orange mallet
1 EA. Locking pliers
1 EA. Universal 3/8
1 EA. Drive adapters
1 EA. Push Pin Pliers
1 EA. Locking pliers
1 EA. 16mm midget wrench

I take what I need. Nothing else as dragging tools around the hills,in the sand while avoiding rattle snakes is not my idea of fun.

Last time my boss sent me I was carrying about $500 in snap on tools!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I take the tools I need to remove the part I want. Its not that complicated.

This.

I very carefully look at the part that I am getting a replacement for, making sure to consider every fastener and other parts that may interfere. Then I select those tools that I need for the job. I do always carry my Kobalt ratcheting multi-bit screw driver. I love that tool.

I'd love a place like that around here. Most of the yards here are run by crooks and the parts are already pulled. I guess it's a liability thing.

Odd you should ask since as soon as I finish my coffee, I heading there myself.

Usually, I carry only what I need for the job. I check what kinds of bolts, nuts and various fasteners I will need on the vehicle I'm repairing and then carry those tools to the junkyard since I will be pulling said part of same or similar vehicle.

I do however, always carry a set of vice grips and of course, always have a pocket knife.

I've learned as well to keep a can of "Go-Jo" and a roll of paper towels in the car for when I'm done and an extra shirt "just in case." If the weather looks like it might rain, I throw in a plastic trash bag for a rain coat.

I take a chunk of 3/4 plywood to put between my jack and the dirt. I use old rims laying sideways for jackstands, but generally don't go under a car. (They sit in muck and rot underneath.) Did grab a saturn transmission from a car up on two full size wheels and one donut, per side. Held the engine from falling in with a 2x4 across the fenders and a cargo net I liberated from a station wagon.

With cheap chinese parts available my self-serve 'yarding is generally limited to good used tires, already off the car, and tiny sensors that retail for $89 but go for $5 used.
laugh.gif
I get stuff off car-part.com but that's pulled for me.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I take a chunk of 3/4 plywood to put between my jack and the dirt. I use old rims laying sideways for jackstands, but generally don't go under a car. (They sit in muck and rot underneath.) Did grab a saturn transmission from a car up on two full size wheels and one donut, per side. Held the engine from falling in with a 2x4 across the fenders and a cargo net I liberated from a station wagon.

With cheap chinese parts available my self-serve 'yarding is generally limited to good used tires, already off the car, and tiny sensors that retail for $89 but go for $5 used.
laugh.gif
I get stuff off car-part.com but that's pulled for me.

Most vehicles at the place I visit are already "lifted" on stands made from steel wheels welded together. But the last time I was "in the yard," I saw a Ford Explorer someone had jacked up and stacked brake drums underneath to keep it off the ground. It was about three feet in the air and very unsteady. Looks like they pulled the tranny. No way would I have climbed under that thing.

The place I frequent even has engine pullers you can "borrow" if you're pulling the engine from a car. They're great big things about ten feet tall that roll around on old automobile tires with a chain hoist welded to the top - pretty cool. The idea is you pull the engine and then roll it to the gate.

Here, you take the tires and wheels off yourself and buy tire and wheel together for 20 bucks. I think that's still a pretty good deal as tires are already mounted and balanced, all you have to do is bolt them to your car.

I make a list of what i need and take the tools i need to pull them.
Sometimes i take more than i need if its an unknown like the whole interior i took out of an 08 Subaru i bought.

I have a 165 piece Craftsman set that has all the sockets, wrenches and screwdriver heads that I would need.

PB Blaster is a must as well. Maybe a nice breaker bar and a few small flat headed screwdrivers for removing interior trim pieces. I also try to bring tools according to what I need.

Originally Posted By: StrangeBrew
I went to the auto salvage yard today. It's been many years since I've had this sort of fun, but I packed a socket and open end wrench set with some screwdrivers and found exactly the part I needed. It was held on with Torx head bolts.

Went back home and got what I needed and got it out I'm happy to say. Just wondering what do you guys take with you?

Always include a BFH in your tool bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back