What tool is needed to remove a hub bolt?

I need to remove a hub bolt from my 2001 honda civic. What tool will I need? An impact wrench? Is there a certain amount of torque i will need?

Can you remove the center cap and put the rim back on while it's on the ground?

Get a breaker bar and an extension. You won't necessarily need an impact if you don't have one.

Originally Posted By: llmercll
I need to remove a hub bolt from my 2001 honda civic. What tool will I need? An impact wrench? Is there a certain amount of torque i will need?

Is that an axle bolt? If so, on our civic there was an indent mark punched, which was supposed to be pushed out.

No matter what, a long metal pipe over a breaker bar can always do wonders!

Is the hub bolt the same as an axle nut? If you're talking about the axle nut, I removed it from my Honda Element with a HF axle nut set, breaker bar and a cheater pipe.

If you're talking about wheel stud, that I don't know, but I think they're just pressed in.

It's the nut keeps the cv joint in. I need to replace a clutch and so will be removing it, and I know these bolts can be stubborn. I am going to try and breaker bar, but want a backup i case that won't work.

Ah yeah, just make sure to punch out the indent on the nut and you should be good to go. Probably wouldn't hurt to spray it with some penetrating fluid a few days before as well.

And now a days with weaker trans parts I would have someone start the car and push the brakes on as you crack it loose.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Neighbor and I broke a new Craftsman breaker bar with a cheater on it. We had the center punched indent pushed out. Drove it to an automotive shop that had a strong impact and it got it loose. I had an impact and 120 psi air and it wouldn't move it.
mad.gif

what ft lbs was the impact rated for? was it just a drill or an actual wrench

Originally Posted By: Mainia
And now a days with weaker trans parts I would have someone start the car and push the brakes on as you crack it loose.
laugh.gif

Break the nut loose before you lift the vehicle. If you break a parking pawl/differential getting the nut loose.....I'll fix it for free!!!

All I've ever used for these is a long flex handle and my own weight.
Do this with the car still on the ground.
These big nuts usually loosen up pretty easily.
They'll either be staked on the later cars or have cotter pins on the earlier ones.
These impediments must be removed before trying to remove the nut from the outer CV joint of course.
Not hard, you just need a big enough socket.

Originally Posted By: Mainia
laugh.gif

First gear is about a 1:4 ratio, and the final drive is 1:4 again. The car can put 100 ft-lbs * 16 to the front wheels. That nut's coming off with less than 1600 ft lbs breakaway.

It may not be good for the wheel bearings to sit there without torque on that axle nut, so you decide how much you want to loosen before you get it in the air... and how much you'll pre-torque before putting it back on the ground.

A big one

Here's a tip:don't use a ratchet.

Here's another tip:

Don't lend your tools to your girlfriends father if you think he's the kind of guy who might try and use a ratchet to remove a hub bolt.

Last edited:
Be prepared for a possible fight. Just pulled front axle nuts off my 96 Prelude to do a clutch job. 22 years in place and failed with proper axle nut socket and over 2 foot breaker bar, half-inch impact wrench and plenty of hammering. Ended up cutting them off with a dremel and cutoff wheel. Aaargh

I've done this on my 04 civic on the rear, but the front is the same.

You need a big socket like 32mm or something, I got mine at harbor freight. Get a 1/2 breaker bar and a wheel chock while you're there.

Take your wheel off and pop out the center cap if it's an alloy or remove the wheel cover if steel. Use an old screwdriver to pry out the locking dent in the hub nut. Now put the wheel back on and tighten it up and lower the car. Now set the brake and use the wheel chock. Use your big socket through the hole in the wheel with the wheel chock to hold the wheel still.

If the nut is staked, unstake the nut before removing or else you will damage the threads on the axle.

Critic is right, Honda's (and likely others) have a key slot cut into the axle, and once the nut is tightened you have to whack the edge of the nut to "lock" the nut in place. You have to pry this out before removing the nut, and therefore need a new nut when putting it back together.

Back