What to use to temporary fix sludged oil rings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i just saw a car for sale in my country, cheap, but it's like 700 km away. the owner says it has bad piston rings. I know that these engines have a well known issue of sludge building in the oil ring when the oil changes are not done soon enough. Before opening the engine to clean and drill some additionnal holes in the pistons for oil drainage, i'll have to drive the 700 km back home. I don't know yet how much oil this engine drinks.

Do you know a temporary cure i could use to unstick the oil piston rings and drive back home without a blue cloud following my car ?

Diesel fuel in oil ? "gumout" kind of additive ? very thin oil + ATF ? or not worth the gamble ? should i just get a tow ?

Try. Diesel motor oil, like Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W-40
or Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 or T6 5W-40.

Lots of detergents in these motor oils...

Most of the stuff that helps with stuck rings needs to sit for 12-24 hours. Even then it's not guaranteed.

If needed to be done in a hurry I guess you could try pouring some berrymans b12 down the spark plug holes and give it like a hour to rest. I dont know if it will work however but if you need fast your probably going to have to use an aggressive cleaner.

If you do try this tho I would change the oil once I get it home (or at the least before the next time I use it).

Just make sure to turn the motor over without the spark plugs in it to help clean out the residue.

Last edited:
Probably there's also carbon buildup. Here is what I would do:

1. Piston soak with a solvent like Chemtool B12 or any snake oil you deem worthy. Acteone should work, too.

2. If possible, pressurize each cylinder with air through sparkplug hole, or wait a couple days for the solvent to works its way through the gunk.

3. Drive car and run a solvent like Seafoam or plain water through the intake to help reduce carbon buildup.

4. Change oil and use a good mixed fleet oil.

5. Check compression. If the rings are truly shot, some may be broken or worn too much, they need replacing.

Bon chance!

If it were me. Check oil level. Drive home. Check along the way to ensure not using oil too fast. Check oil when home. This will give you a baseline. With that data make a decision on what to do next.

8 years a go when I bought my 84 toyota truck, it had stuck rings.

After a couple of years with no improvement I added 20% MMO to the oil one winter.

Within 200 miles the rings un-stuck. Call it a fluke, whatever, but it worked.

Never used the stuff since, but it seemed to work for me back then.

The worst burners go through a quart in 100 miles. You can stop every hour, check and fill.

I'd worry more about travelling a long distance for a mediocre car and then feeling obligated to purchase it anyway, because you're emotionally invested.

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you after that ...

4 grams of NaCl + 45 drops of bleach Cl2 dissolved in 1 quart of mineral light oil as part of the flush, mixed with the used oil, let it settle to collect reacted VII and other components to the bottom of the container (ruinned the engine oil? probably), added all back plus 20 grams of powdered graphite as AW and dispersant, to run the engine for a while. It did work for me once, as desperate measure. I had tried A BUNCH of other common methods and, no joy, maybe it helped a little also, or not. Worked just after drained the creepy mix and refill with new oil. But I'm not recommending it, because if you let too long (I had it installed for a week and maybe shouldn't, but luckly I had no side effects 5k miles after) will ruin your seals and do other nasty stuff.
Again, I was tired of the stubborn deposits in ringland and had to disassemble the engine to cure low compression, as an alternative. The filter got a lot of hard pieces of crud.

Just to illustrate, Don't do it.

I looked into this for a Oldsmobile 3.5L. Lots of options out there, you can try some of the "better" oil additives like Kreen, or even an aggressive cleaning oil like PP, M1 or a HDEO. Most people that had any luck without a rebuild required a piston soak. Something like MMO, Seafoam, B12, Kreen and let it sit for a WHILE like overnight or multiple days. Turn engine over by hand once in a while and add a little more one a day or say. Be sure to change oil after.

I have had good success using SeaFoam for this (no reason to believe B12 and others would not also work well, too). I put in one to 1.5 ounce per cylinder (30 to 50ml) and let sit over night. Lots of clouds on start up so do not do it in a closed garage or near an open door/window.

I have also run HDEO and Mobil 1 synthetic to keep it clean. Dramatic decrease in oil usage (1998 Acura SLX (Isuzu Trooper)).

Some people recommend an "Italian Tune-up" for this issue, also (you can google that).

I accomplished unsticking rings by plain atf and gasoline mixn sat couple days at a ttime. Think I did 3 rounds. Worked like a charm, noticed a difference first time.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would be looking at the ToyotaNation forums, since they are probably experts on this situation.

nope, saturnfans is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back