What to use to kill honeysuckle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a real honeysuckle problem.
This stuff grows like a weed and self-seeds readily everywhere.
What's a good herbicide to use on it?
What I have in mind is cutting the more mature plants off at ground level and then applying something to the stubs to kill the roots.
What might work well?

1/2 gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar 1/4 c table salt 1/2 tsp Dawn liquid dish soap.

Mix and pour into a spray bottle.

Spray thoroughly.

It makes 1/2 gallon for around 6 dollars.

I have always used Round up especially if the bushes were smaller. If not I cut them back and wait for new growth to appear since Round up and similar products are a contact herbicide.
The suggestion above is so much cheapier than anything you can buy at the store. Should it be sprayed on the entire plant or just the stumps? How long before a second treatment should be applied?

Originally Posted By: PurpleT
I have always used Round up especially if the bushes were smaller. If not I cut them back and wait for new growth to appear since Round up and similar products are a contact herbicide.
The suggestion above is so much cheapier than anything you can buy at the store. Should it be sprayed on the entire plant or just the stumps? How long before a second treatment should be applied?

I always sprayed it directly on the plants and it has worked great.

A little slow at first but it gets the job done.

You can cut the mix with a few cups of water as well for smaller weeds.

As far as treatments go, On large plants I hit it daily for 3-4 days, That seems to work just fine.

Don't bother with round up, most stuff I've ever used with round up is back in 4 to 6 months. If you got some thing green to kill get some Crossbow. Just don't spray it where it can eventually get to tree roots or any other plants you like.

meh, when it bothers me , I pull it up. Until then the bees like the flowers, the flowers smell good when they're in bloom, and the birds eat the berries. I worry more about poisoning stuff than pulling a few weeds.
smile.gif

Triclopyr is a good alternative and it works as a spray and as an application to the ends of the vines if you cut them. Gordon's Brush Killer is also a good one if you have a Tractor Supply store near you. Round-up fails to adequately penetrate plants with woody stems - brown or with bark.

Always use a squirt of Dawn dish detergent when mixing your Roundup. Of course, I'm cheap and refuse to pay lots more for the Roundup name. I simply use 41% glyphosate concentrate (that is $17 a gallon) from the local farm supply store.

http://www.ruralking.com/drexel-imitator-plus-glyphosate-1-gallon-jug-w-15-surfactant.html

The squirt of Dawn dish soap acts as a surfactant, and it helps the Roundup cling to whatever you spray it on.

When this stuff, and a squirt of Dawn detergent, kills waxy plants like cattails... it is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back