What to use for oil change pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Various auto parts places sell these 7qt plastic pans for a few bucks. But I want something better, because my last plastic pan cracked. I want a metal pan. I looked for it at flea markets but couldn't find anything for a low price. Might end up getting that auto parts pan.

I really like this unit:

-

Holds up to 3 oil changes, although I just pour one change into a M1 5 qt jug for recycling. Then just cap it up and wipe off the top. Easy and no mess. It has a place to drain your filters too.

I have had it for 3 years and I'm sure it will go another 3 at least.

From Blitz. Available everywhere.

I am wary of the plastic units as well because on all the ones I've had so far, the cap gets warped so it won't screw on tightly enough. Even a new cap doesn't always fix it.

That 13qt (pictured) blitz has been holding up the longest so far; the cap still seals tight, although I can feel it starting to not close that tightly.

I think griot's garage sells a metal unit, but pricey.

quote:

Originally posted by Grease is the word:
I really like this unit:

-

Holds up to 3 oil changes, although I just pour one change into a M1 5 qt jug for recycling. Then just cap it up and wipe off the top. Easy and no mess. It has a place to drain your filters too.

I have one, too. I like it fine except when changing the oil in my diesel Dodge. The oil drains so fast it backs up in the top portion and wants to overflow.

[ December 13, 2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: mrchecker ]

Mrchecker, that is some flow on your diesel. I assume you are opening up the yellow vent. Perhaps you could make the vent bigger.

I once crushed the drain cap on this unit (OK, I ran over it). I almost bought a whole new drain pan (I couldn't come to stealing one off one in the store). Then I found that the safety cap on the windshield washer gallons fit perfectly.

quote:

Mrchecker, that is some flow on your diesel. I assume you are opening up the yellow vent. Perhaps you could make the vent bigger.

I once crushed the drain cap on this unit (OK, I ran over it). I almost bought a whole new drain pan (I couldn't come to stealing one off one in the store). Then I found that the safety cap on the windshield washer gallons fit perfectly.

3 gallons of hot 15w-40 comes out mighty quick! I changed the oil this morning, and I left the cap off as well as opening the vent. That seems to work better, now the oil only gets about halfway up in the top portion of the pan. It used to come within 1/4 inch of overflow! I'll keep the alternative cap source in mind, thanks for the info.

If you want just a simple metal drain pan, go to a farm supply store and get what was always referred to as a hog pan. i use them as an oil drain pan. They will easily hold up to 6 quarts, but of course have no place to sit the oil filter.

quote:

I really like this unit:

-

These are great, they have the closed top version (as pictured), and also an open top version that is Yellow in color, I have both.

I have the same oil pan as dipicted above. I had the same problem with overflow the first tme I used it. I removed the cap with next change and didn't overflow.....definitely keep the cap off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back