What to put in outdoor Diesel Generator

I'm installing a 3ø 26Kw diesel generator for a customer. This is a used unit with a mechanical John Deere Saran 4 cyl engine. It is from 1996. This is a N/A engine.

It gets -30F here, and this is just a sheetmetal enclosure outside. It has a coolant heater, and I'm contemplating an oil pan heater set to come on when it's colder than 30 outside.

This is an 1800 RPM generator, where once it starts, the governor goes straight to 1800 RPM. Thinner oil would be better I'd think!

1658877756439.jpeg

0w30 would be nice in the winter but is it heavy enough for prolonged summer operation?
you have any sort of owners manual?

It is a JD 4039DF mechanical direct injection 4 cyl 3.9L 60HP non-turbo diesel.

I have no paperwork, but have plenty of engine specs I found online.

This will likely run for <50 hours a year.

It is a JD 4039DF mechanical direct injection 4 cyl 3.9L 60HP non-turbo diesel.

I have no paperwork, but have plenty of engine specs I found online.

This will likely run for
That’s an interesting rating. My 2.4L 4cyl makes 67hp.

It has these recommendations:

So definitely a 5w- oil or better is fitting. Not sure why you wouldn’t go with a 5w-40, though that HPL 0w-30 probably flows better and has stout film strength.

Rotella T-6 5W-40. I used it exclusively in my Diesel box trucks. Started easily at 5 degrees F. Never needed any kind of heater.

Rotella T-6 5W-40. I used it exclusively in my Diesel box trucks. Started easily at 5 degrees F. Never needed any kind of heater.
to be captain obvious 5f isnt -30f. 5w40 at -30f is MUCH thicker.
found the operating manual. If I have the model right this uses 12qt of oil. And the starter pulls over 1000amp at -22f.

image_2022-07-26_203631363.png

This the right book?

Last edited:
That’s an interesting rating. My 2.4L 4cyl makes 67hp.

It has these recommendations:

So definitely a 5w- oil or better is fitting. Not sure why you wouldn’t go with a 5w-40, though that HPL 0w-30 probably flows better and has stout film strength.
Your 2.2L isn't a standby generator running at 1800 RPM and weighting in just over 1,000 lbs. It's an MB car engine. Fantastic engines too!

I've run Rotella T6 5-40 for many years in all my engines, gas and diesel, until it started to get expensive and the Zinc kept lowering.

After reading in here I've actually been using wally world ST and changing it at the 5-6K interval.

to be captain obvious 5f isnt -30f. 5w40 at -30f is MUCH thicker.
found the operating manual. If I have the model right this uses 12qt of oil. And the starter pulls over 1000amp at -22f.

View attachment 109850

This the right book?
Yes, that is right.

JD recommends 5w-30 for temps -22F- 86F.

So I'm thinking a 5-40 or 0-40 would be very good.

The scariest thing for me, is once it starts it'd balls to the wall at 1800 RPM and full load. This is all within seconds of the starter engaging. That's hard on an engine and oil pressure would be very high with filter in full bypass for quite awhile I'd think.

The starter will love the cold pumpability of the 0w-30. If it's really -30F AND the engine needs to start every time, then you want every advantage you can get, run the 0w-30. I have lots of experience starting the older mechanical fuel pump JD engines in frigid temps. The propensity to start is directly proportional to cranking speed.

Your 2.2L isn't a standby generator running at 1800 RPM and weighting in just over 1,000 lbs. It's an MB car engine. Fantastic engines too!

I've run Rotella T6 5-40 for many years in all my engines, gas and diesel, until it started to get expensive and the Zinc kept lowering.

After reading in here I've actually been using wally world ST and changing it at the 5-6K interval.

a 5w30 is good to 86f (or maybe abit more due to todays superior oils)
a 5w40 should theoretically be good down to about-30f. but not optimal when it has absolutely no warmup time.

after more thought a 5w40 is probably what I would run.. and a low wattage oil heater to come on below whatever temp you think is necessary 0f?

I am imagining this would get yearly? oil changes so a seasonal oil weight wouldnt be possible?

if you dont get above 86f much then a 0w30 would be the top choice.

a 5w30 is good to 86f (or maybe abit more due to todays superior oils)
a 5w40 should theoretically be good down to about-30f. but not optimal when it has absolutely no warmup time.

after more thought a 5w40 is probably what I would run.. and a low wattage oil heater to come on below whatever temp you think is necessary 0f?

I am imagining this would get yearly? oil changes so a seasonal oil weight wouldnt be possible?
Yes, I'm going to service it annually for this customer. I essentially am warranting it for the first 5 years of installation.

20220603_135410.jpg

Yes, I'm going to service it annually for this customer. I essentially am warranting it for the first 5 years of installation.

View attachment 109853

Nice! I would use a 5w40, but with that little of use almost any brand should work. I like Farm & Fleet 5w40 in my OPE equipment. I don't see why it wouldn't work in this. If you come across a deal on any other 5w40 I'd use it as well...

just my $0.02

Wondering if a 0w-30 or 0W-40 would be best. Although a 100-150Watt oil pan heater should keep the oil around 50-80F which would be much better.

This is all about reliability and it has to start, it's a doctor's office.

The starter will love the cold pumpability of the 0w-30. If it's really -30F AND the engine needs to start every time, then you want every advantage you can get, run the 0w-30. I have lots of experience starting the older mechanical fuel pump JD engines in frigid temps. The propensity to start is directly proportional to cranking speed.
I agree with this.

A lot of people think that xW viscosity is the end all be all-- in other words a 5w-30 is the same viscosity when cold as a 5w-40. Not true in most cases. Much depends on the temperature, and if the engine ever needs to start at -30F, I think you'd be better served with a 0w-30. The 30 weight will be fine during summer temps as well in most any area that sees -30F in winter.

Back