What to mix with Rotella T6 in Acura Legend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be changing the oil in my Legend and was wondering since I have the gallon jugs of Rotella, what should I use to top it off with. In other words, 4 quarts of Rotella and 1 quart of another oil. My Legend calls for 5w-30 and the Rotella is 5w-40. I have various other brands in my stash including: Kendall HM syn blend w/liquid titanium 5w-30, Kendall full synthetic w/LT 5w-30, Napa full synthetic 5w-30, QSHM 5w-30, QSUD 5w-20, PU 5w-20, PP 5w-20, G-Oil 5w-30.
Honestly if Rotella came in 5 qt jugs I wouldn't be asking this question. I also have several quarts on MMO on hand.
Thanks for any advice.

I would add another quart of 5w20 to bring it closer to the recommended 30 weight for the car.

Originally Posted By: Knox
I vote for another sopus product (QSUD 5w-20, PU 5w-20 or PP 5w-20).

+1 I would also match SM to SM or SN to SN.

+1 I'd stay with the SOPUS oils in 5w-20.

+1

I'd buy another quart of Rotella. That way I wouldn't worry about additive incompatibility between an oil designed for diesel engines and one designed for gasoline engines.

Just use straight RT6. Its an excellent oil and its at the lighter end of the allowable 40-wt viscosity range, too. Its just fine in engines spec'd for 30-wt.

Rather than open up another Gallon of T-6, I blended in 2 quarts of 5w-30, Formula Shell Full Synthetic.

IMO....Both T6 and Formula Shell are quality base stock oils that stay in grade for quite some time.

IMO....my T4R is running Smooth as silk and this full synthetic fill should be great for the winter....till late Spring.

The Full Synthetic Formula Shell is now on sale at BJ's warehouse. After coupon.....it's about $3 a quart for a case of 6 quarts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beast3300
I vote for 32 oz of MMO. A little thinner and alittle cleaner added at one time.

Would MMO be good to have in the sump for a 6K - 8K mile OCI?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
4 quarts of Rotella plus 1 quart MMO will bring the mixed closer to 5W30, also it will keep engine clean.

^This. Winter is coming and you are going thicker, even a 20 multi-grade will leave you thicker than usual. Go with MMO and as the level goes down add the thinnest 0w-20 you can find, M1 0w-20 AFE should suffice.

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks! BTW, my OCI for the Legend is around 3500=5000 miles with a Bosch Premium Oil Filter.

So stick with either a Sopus product, i.e. PU, PP, QSUD, FS;
Or add MMO due to the winter months coming up (we only get below 40 on occasions here in the valley) and then add more oil as necessary;
Or but more Rotella (another Sopus product)?

[censored] Rotella and their 4 quart jugs!
crazy.gif

I'm originally from cali. Just north of Bakersfield. The weather there is pretty nice.
smile.gif

If you wanted to do a 3-5k mile oil change any of the oils you mentioned would work, even the MMO.

FYI: Sopus = Shell oil products U.S.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Originally Posted By: beast3300
I vote for 32 oz of MMO. A little thinner and alittle cleaner added at one time.

Would MMO be good to have in the sump for a 6K - 8K mile OCI?

I wouldn't see why not. I remember a UOA on a Northstar Cadillac that he ran 5k with MMO in there.

On my Regal the MMO will stay in the full 6 months@ whatever the mileage is at the end of 6 months, lmao.

Rotella....is a SOPUS product.....all in the Shell family.

Shell Rotella T5, T6, Triple Protection Dino in 10w-30 and 15w-40. They blend well with Formula Shell Synthetic and Formula Shell Dino oils.

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Thanks for all of the suggestions folks! BTW, my OCI for the Legend is around 3500=5000 miles with a Bosch Premium Oil Filter.

So stick with either a Sopus product, i.e. PU, PP, QSUD, FS;
Or add MMO due to the winter months coming up (we only get below 40 on occasions here in the valley) and then add more oil as necessary;
Or but more Rotella (another Sopus product)?

[censored] Rotella and their 4 quart jugs!
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back