What to look for specifcally when choosing a Ford Powerstroke oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry for another thread, but this one is more geared directly to a certain question. I found the most current Ford Approved list (https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf) and Ive read the forums. I see there are many rebates out now on Rotella, Mobil and Delvac. I see many say get Delo, forget Ford's new specs... I see many running new CK oils and have great wear numbers, which goes against Ford's sayings.

All in all what am I to look for under VOAs of CK-4 oils? Im having a hard time making a choice... Im one of the guys that wants to run 5w-40 oils and not 10w-30s, I change it about every 9 months or so due to age/getting around 5-6500k per OCI. Should I be looking for X amount of Phos and Zinc?

Im starting to think that ANY oil in 5w40 will work, and the ones that I can save the most on via rebates, I should go with...

Im trying to locate the VOAs for T6, TDT, Delo 5w-40, VPBE 5w40 and I cant find anything within the past 3-6 months... unless Im not seeing it. Can someone link me to them or some?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
Your vehicle is not Ford's current diesel, if I recall correctly, so I wouldn't worry in the least.

I have a 6.0, and you're memory is correct! So that Delvac seems to be a good deal then... Around 17 a gallon after rebate. But I would prefer something not SN rated. Just for the piece of mind, but again UOAs are coming back fine for SN rated oils.

I have a VBPE sample in the lab now. Expect the results in a day or 2. 9500 miles on a fairly new engine so results will be a little skewed I think.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
I have a VBPE sample in the lab now. Expect the results in a day or 2. 9500 miles on a fairly new engine so results will be a little skewed I think.

Any and all reports are worth it!

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by NattyBoh
I have a 6.0, and you're memory is correct! So that Delvac seems to be a good deal then... Around 17 a gallon after rebate. But I would prefer something not SN rated. Just for the piece of mind, but again UOAs are coming back fine for SN rated oils.

If you're going 5w-40, the SN really won't matter, technically. That won't be phosphorus limited like a 10w-30 CK-4/SN. However, the additive package could be the same across a line and what happens to the 10w-30 may carry to a 5w-40. It's also important to note that the previous Ford list, the "E" version, did give formal approval to Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, which is a low phosphorus lube.

Originally Posted by Garak

If you're going 5w-40, the SN really won't matter, technically. That won't be phosphorus limited like a 10w-30 CK-4/SN. However, the additive package could be the same across a line and what happens to the 10w-30 may carry to a 5w-40. It's also important to note that the previous Ford list, the "E" version, did give formal approval to Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, which is a low phosphorus lube.

So are you under the same thought that just buy any oil on sale from Walmart? Rotella t6 is like 10 a gallon lol. Delvac is a bit more but I think I recently read that it's not that good anymore and I don't have emissions equipment, so I'm buying something I don't need protection for.

I'd use TDT, T6,Delvac, or Delivered all in 5w40.

Last edited:
IMO ... Ford panic'd and broadcast out a notice when CK-4 came out; based upon a drop in phos in that designation. They claimed that "testing" indicated accelerated valve train wear in the 6.7L, but would not ever produce any proof to any credible source when requested; we were just supposed to take their word for it, even though the entire rest of the HDEO market (OEMs and lube makers) all seemed to find CK-4 perfectly acceptable. Then on top of that, they simply said that ALL engines in their previous diesel fleet would be spec'd for CJ-4; right - as if they spent thousands of test hours and hundreds of engineering hours on engines they don't even make or warrant any longer (6.0L, 7.3L, 6.9L). That's a load of manure. I worked at Ford for 16 years, and I work for another major OEM in HVAC now; there is no OEM that spends oodles of money testing products on stuff they no longer make, just to throw out a maintenance recommendation. Ford did this at first as a knee-jerk reaction to their perception of an input in the formulation, without understanding the true nature of the outputs. Either that, or they make their valve-train components out of some uber-sensitive material that the rest of the world does not have access to, and now they are in a unique position to be the "only" one needing a super-duper spec, which interestingly enough, MANY CK-4 products are approved for ....

It's not like this is the first time Ford's fluid spec got them into issues, either. I believe much of the infamous 6.0L coolant issues were mainly due to Ford's use of their G-05 extended life coolant, which ultimately precipitates solids, being caught in the tight passages of the oil/water heat exchanger, which causes all manner of ills up and down stream in the cooling system. Navistar (designer/builder of the 6.0L) never spec'd that coolant; they first stuck with traditional green EG coolant with anti-cav additives, then moved to the their own Fleetrite red ELC as I recall, and their issues were FAR, FAR fewer in this topic. Hmmmmmmm .... maybe Ford should not try to out-think the rest of the market in terms of fluids.

Also, somewhat on topic (at least to the 6.0 and lube) is that Navistar spec'd the VT365 for 10k mile oil changes (or other limits)
See here; page 41 (search "VT365 engine introduction" and open the PDF)
[PDF]International VT 365 2004 Engine - 7.0 Navistar x234a custnav
www.navistarlearning.com/dotnet/application/downloadcontent2.aspx?...
"ENGINE FACT:
The service interval for the engine oil and filter is 10,000 miles, 350 hours, 1,000 gallons of fuel, or 6 months
."
Note that the equiv limits would be around 28mph avg, or 10mpg avg. The "or 6 months" thing is bogus IMO; oil has been proven in countless UOAs to not care how long it sits in the crankcase.
Those who change the oil frequently in the 6.0L can do so with the confidence they are wasting oil just like most every other BITOGer.

Last edited:
Thanks DNewton! Excellent post! So very spot on!

I have a '05 F350 with the 6.0. I love the darn thing. I literally have service records from the old man I bought it from showing it left the dealer and went straight to another shop to have Rotella 15W40 poured in and spent the first 99k miles of its life on that oil Since I've got the truck I've tried a few oils but was amazed at how well the truck responded to a 10W30. Better starts, warmed up sooner, no "chugging" when it was cold etc. I just recently put a 15W40 back in because it was cheap and I've always wanted to try VPB oil but the truck hates 15W40! Seriously, try a 10W30, theres a reason most ALL new diesels run it and call for it, Ford back spec'd to use it in the 6.0 as well AFAIK.

The 10W30's don't have many VII's which are prone to shearing and let me tell you, the HPOP/HUEI system shears oil fast!! Your 40Wt becomes a 30WT real quick!

Needless to say, I'm going back to a 10W30 at my next OCI and sticking with it. We work my truck pretty hard hauling horses and hay down here in the Florida heat and it doesn't miss a beat, never had a single issue with the truck other than my OCD and PM regime

Appreciate the info Dnewton! I have had my 6.0 since new in 2007. I love it, its been bulletproofed (by bulletproof diesel in Mesa, AZ) now for 9 years now and not one single issue, currently 123k miles. I will never get rid of it.

I have had good success with Delo 400 LE 5W30, averaging about 11ppm FE per 5k miles. Amazon still sells it, sometimes as little as $20/gallon.

I just ordered and recieved 10 gallons of Delvac 1 ESP 5W30 (CK-4) from Oreily's here in St Paul, MN at $29.99/gallon. With the $12 rebate per gallon that's $18/gallon!! I couldn't pass it up. I am just curious as how the Delvac CK-4 will do in the 6.0 since Mobil Delvac touts unsurpassed shear stability and wear control with their premium Delvac 1 ESP 5w30.

I will post UOA's as soon as I can. I am not concerned at all about Ford's CK-4 rhetoric, especially in a 11yr old 6.0 powerstroke.

Last edited:
Aren't they all talking about shear stability in all ck oils?

Yup, the CK-4 spec was developed for improved shear stability, oxidation control and aeration control. It was meant to handle the hotter running new HD diesels and still allow for longer intervals, while maintaining good wear control. The engine manufacturers also developed tougher specs to go beyond the API specs. The CK-4 alone was for improved performance and then add in the tougher Detroit, Volvo/Mack and Cummins approvals and you have a real good oil.

I've put it (CK-4) to the test in my Detroit and it has lived up to the hype. Long, long hours and several thousand gallons of fuel burned in each OCI and the oil has taken it with relative ease. You can save yourself money, time and waste getting more from your oil. The rebates can't compete with what you could save by extending your OCI. Give it a try and see.

Originally Posted by Powerstroke
It is almost disbelief that Mobil Delvac claims the Delvac 1 ESP 5W30 can handle drain intervals up to 100k miles!! I am guessing this is strictly for OTR rigs, still how is that possible with all the emissions stuff on newer diesels?

https://www.mobil.com/en/mobil-delv...elvac-1-engine-oil-technology-for-fleets

More Mobil fecal matter! I wouldn't even try that in an OTR truck with bypass filtration! I bet you none of the OTR guys on here buy it either.

Mobil marketing has gotten ridiculous... I wouldn't put their junk oil in my lawn mowers these days...

Originally Posted by racin4ds
It is almost disbelief that Mobil Delvac claims the Delvac 1 ESP 5W30 can handle drain intervals up to 100k miles!! I am guessing this is strictly for OTR rigs, still how is that possible with all the emissions stuff on newer diesels?

More Mobil fecal matter! I wouldn't even try that in an OTR truck with bypass filtration! I bet you none of the OTR guys on here buy it either.

Mobil marketing has gotten ridiculous... I wouldn't put their junk oil in my lawn mowers these days...

100,000 miles seems long, however Doug Hillary did do ~100,000Km drains on Delvac 1 5w-40 (with a centrifuge) when fleet testing for XOM of Delvac 1. Million Km tear-down showed "as new" measurements for liners, bearings...etc. Engine was reassembled and was I believe at 3.2 million when the test concluded or he last checked, something of that nature.

tell me more... Why and what happened? I used to use Delvac and I use high mileage M1 in my beater sentra. Its the only HM oil that lasts a while ( doesnt burn much ).

Powerstroke, racin4ds...there have been guys going way beyond 100k miles for many years now. Granted, they're using bypass filters and adding fresh oil (and filters) along the way, and some of the bypass systems add considerable oil capacity.

As far as modern trucks with the latest emissions equipment, I can certainly see 100k miles as a possibility (in OTR use, anyway). I'm using an inexpensive synthetic blend (Delo XLE) and have done 3 OCIs of 55k-58k miles (with as much as 900 hours idling included) on my 2016 Detroit Diesel. Excellent results and nowhere near being worn out. And that's with just the standard full flow filter and no oil added throughout the OCI.

I'm sure that a high end synthetic oil like D1 could go 100k in my truck, especially if I were to cut down on the idle time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back