What to look for specifcally when choosing a Ford Powerstroke oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by NattyBoh
So are you under the same thought that just buy any oil on sale from Walmart? Rotella t6 is like 10 a gallon lol. Delvac is a bit more but I think I recently read that it's not that good anymore and I don't have emissions equipment, so I'm buying something I don't need protection for.

Yes. They'll be interchangeable. By the way, don't let the "ESP" in Delvac 1 lead you astray. There is no more "Emissions System Protection" in Delvac 1 ESP than there is in T6. ESP is something Mobil tacked onto the Delvac 1 name when CJ-4 came out, which was when SA was reduced to 1.0 or less. Delvac 1's SA will be the same as just about every CJ-4 or CK-4 lube out there.

Even for phosphorus levels, I wouldn't worry. Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 in E6, low phosphorus, was on Ford's "E" list as approved. So, either Ford's specification was wrong or Ford's current diesel has problems. A low phosphorus lube is specifically on the approved list that covered your engine.

I'd grab the cheapest available lube on the shelf in the appropriate viscosity and go with it.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by NattyBoh
So are you under the same thought that just buy any oil on sale from Walmart? Rotella t6 is like 10 a gallon lol. Delvac is a bit more but I think I recently read that it's not that good anymore and I don't have emissions equipment, so I'm buying something I don't need protection for.

Yes. They'll be interchangeable. By the way, don't let the "ESP" in Delvac 1 lead you astray. There is no more "Emissions System Protection" in Delvac 1 ESP than there is in T6. ESP is something Mobil tacked onto the Delvac 1 name when CJ-4 came out, which was when SA was reduced to 1.0 or less. Delvac 1's SA will be the same as just about every CJ-4 or CK-4 lube out there.

Even for phosphorus levels, I wouldn't worry. Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 in E6, low phosphorus, was on Ford's "E" list as approved. So, either Ford's specification was wrong or Ford's current diesel has problems. A low phosphorus lube is specifically on the approved list that covered your engine.

I'd grab the cheapest available lube on the shelf in the appropriate viscosity and go with it.

Thanks. The Rotella works out to be around little less than 11 dollars per gallon. CHEAP. Delvac works out to be around 18 per gallon. TDT is about the same.

You don't want to buy TDT up here.
wink.gif
Delvac 1 is cheaper significantly. I've never seen TDT go on sale up here, but one Canadian reported it once. I've never seen it under $40 a jug, and usually well above that!

You don't want to buy TDT up here.
wink.gif
Delvac 1 is cheaper significantly. I've never seen TDT go on sale up here, but one Canadian reported it once. I've never seen it under $40 a jug, and usually well above that!

Lol... Ive been reading and reading and well... reading on this topic. I dont see much recommended on 6.0 oils, but I have seen many say that since its an older motor, who cares. Im not scared of the ck-4 rating, I just dont know what has a good add pack now days. Or I should say what is considered to be good from the community here.

I also keep seeing that T6 has a high-er NOACK level, and I should avoid it because of that?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about that in the least, particularly since we really don't have a lot of things to compare it to, with respect to Noack. Most HDEOs don't publish that number; all I can think of is maybe Amsoil off the top of my head.

I wouldn't worry about that in the least, particularly since we really don't have a lot of things to compare it to, with respect to Noack. Most HDEOs don't publish that number; all I can think of is maybe Amsoil off the top of my head.

Hoping I made a good decision here.. I just got T6 for 8.50 a gallon via Amazon's pricing plus the rebate their offering. Hopefully this will be alright for the engine, and not cause any issues. For the price though, it was hard to pass up...

That will be just fine, not to mention approved, if I recall correctly.

It is approved, just hope its going to hold up. I know we dont have much to go off of, just wish I could find some VOAs and or UOAs that are current ( from 2018 )

It should hold up just fine. Your OCIs are fairly conservative.

What would you say, 4-5000k OCIs?

Nattyboh- take a look at the 15W30 Delo HD. It's hard to find but IMO should be a killer oil for the 6.0. If I ever find some for a decent price, its going in my work horse for sure!

I'm leaning heavily towards Amsoil's new 10W30 HDEO but I refuse to pay $32 a jug for oil... I REALLY like the looks of it on paper. It's actually a straight 30WT oil with barely any VII's so should be VERY shear stable in a HEUI system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back