What to expect when cutting filter open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I recently did an oil change on my Mitsubishi Diamante.

I use SHU 5W40 exclusively.
Car has 229,000km (roughly 143,000 miles I believe) and I do 10,000km/6,000 mile OCI.

This time due to time constraints the OCI was pushed to 7,500 miles (12,000km).

The oil filter was OEM Mitsubishi and I cut it open to see what is inside seeing as the oil is a high detergent oil and the OCI was delayed more than usual.
Anyway, I found absolutely nothing, which I assume is a good sign but I am wondering whether this is normal or whether this is better than normal?

I use an engine flush during each oil change and have been running SHU for about 40,000km (26,000 miles).
I've had the rocker covers off before and everything looked clean with the exception of some ash looking stuff (this was 35,000km ago)

underValvecover196xxxkmblack_zpsb259b905.jpg

underValvecover196xxxkm_zps25be99f7.jpg

You do not need a flush if you change the oil with in its limits. The engine looks great. Did you buy the car new ?

+1 - stop using the flush stuff if your changing the oil regularly. I would be worried about some of the flush fluid being left behind and slightly diluting the fresh oil. i have no idea on the OEM filter, but perhaps consider using a better filter ?

@CT8,
No I bought the car second hand with about 110,000 miles on it.
Going through the service logbook the first 65,000 miles it was serviced at the dealership at 9,000 mile OCI (unknown oil, whatever the Mitsubishi dealership uses).
From 65,000 to 110,000 miles it used Castrol Magnatec at 6k OCI.
And since 110,000 to now 143,000 miles I have used Castrol Edge 5W40 once, Penrite HPR15 once and SHU 5W40 since then.

I've done a DIY one changing the valve stem seals (hence the rocker cover is open) and it uses no measurable oil between the 6k OCI I am running so I'm quite happy with the engine.

Originally Posted By: Spetz

I've done a DIY one changing the valve stem seals (hence the rocker cover is open) and it uses no measurable oil between the 6k OCI I am running so I'm quite happy with the engine.

Any chance the flush may have caused the demise of the valve stem seals?

It was using oil when I bought it, I'm not sure whether flush was used in prior oil changes.

I will discontinue the use of a flush though as it seems unnecessary seeing that the engine is really clean (bar the varnish)

Engine looks good

The Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 is a good oil, it carries all the Euro OEM specs like MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, Porsche A40, etc so I expect it can go to 7,500 miles (12,000km) everytime if you want.

btw guys I forgot to mention that ash looking buildup is where the PCV valve is, is this normal?

@Kira, are you asking how/where old oil is disposed of in Australia?
Garbage tips etc have a section where you get rid of it (for free) but as I live in the city I take my old oil to mechanic shops and they take it off my hands

That buildup looks like some dried up oil that probably evaporated. I had a lot of that on my valve cover when I changed the valve cover gasket. Just clean it with some brake clean and paper towels. Not much can be done about it since the crankcase whips oil in many directions. Not sure if it hurts anything. Either way the engine looks very clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back