What to do with wheels - Repaint/Powdercoating

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
The wheels on my Genesis are toast, the clear coat is faded from the Phoenix sun and poor paint quality. 2 have curb rash too.

Thinking about getting them all either repainted or powdercoated or??? Wondering your guys' thoughts on this if you've had this done, if it holds up or if it looks good etc. I think it would be about $800. I'm planning on keeping the car until 135k miles when the warranty is up, has 77k now so about 3-1/2 years. Not really interested in new wheels since I'm not an aftermarket wheels guy, I think they look kind of cheesy. I've also called all the local Hyundai dealers and they don't have any take-off wheels, and finding used sets seems difficult or really expensive. I think new ones from the dealer would be about $2k.

569FE3C3-75BA-4F92-8BF3-7299492D40C9.jpeg

I have used a wheel “spackle” of you will. And a wheel paint. They came out very well.

Nick, I put factory refurb wheels on my F150 this Spring. They look p!ssah and were about $150 a rim and shipping was quick.

I have to take off this morning, but will review my order and post up the details when I return.

I would check eBay for take-off wheels that match yours. I've purchased take-offs for my daughters Jeep to replace damaged wheels on her car. i talked to someone around here (RI) about it and it was almost $200.00 per wheel

They don't actually look that bad, at least not in the pictures. My Mercedes wheels are worse. Normally I'd try to find the Hollander part number and do a search for that rim, you might be able to find the replica for under $200. But normally refinishing a wheel is in the $100-$150 range. I don't bother because I eventually get bent/cracked rims and fixing those cost extra on top of refinishing. Also the price of rims seem to go down the older the car gets, people who buy them spend less as the car ages so they're not willing to pay as much for a wheel. Went from about $200 a rim down to about $140 now. They were probably in the $500-$1000 range when they were brand new.

The PVD coating they are putting on rims nowadays has a tendency to break/flake off. It's how I picked up $5200 worth of ford oem wheels for about $600, and then went to town with sandpaper, primer, color and clear for a month. When you add up the labor and time without the vehicle for a few days while someone does restoration, the cost adds up. There are wheel refurbishers all over ebay, but I'm not sure which ones would be long-term trustworthy. For the cost, you can just about by upper-quality 3rd party wheels such as Enkei. My GS has similar lines to the genesis and I put a set of TSR-6 on mine. They are a lighter wheel, are conservative in appearance, and the improvement is felt in the driver's seat, but on the other hand will likely be more sensitive to pothole damage. If you aren't in an area with bad potholes- it may be cheaper to buy a set from tirerack....

Otherwise, I'd just clean yours up with elbow grease and rubbing compound/polish, wash and double wax, and keep going.

-m

Back