What to do with these tokens?

They are tokens to operate a machine, like at Chuck-E-Cheese (yes, I took my kids there) or an arcade. They have zero value outside of operating the games and probably hundreds of millions of them have been made. If you wait about a thousand years, they might be worth something.

Most arcades tend to use a certain size and obviously the acceptor isn't likely to differentiate between tokens of the same size/construction. I used to go to the Golfland chain of mini golf/arcades, and often I'd see tokens mixed in from Til't. I've taken my kid to CEC and they might have other tokens mixed in, although they tended to be far better about removing tokens from other arcades. But then there's mixing and matching. Not sure exactly how that all works since often these are franchises but the tokens are obviously interchangeable.

But a few years ago Chuck-E-Cheese locations started moving to magnetic play cards that swipe like credit cards. Not sure if they're going to use those for redemption tickets. But I remember having a lot of tokens, and they had machines that would take tokens and load those as play credits to those play cards. I think they're valid at any location, but with play cards they can probably better handle accounting than tokens.

But a few years ago Chuck-E-Cheese locations started moving to magnetic play cards that swipe like credit cards.
Now that you say that, this is more and more standard/common at those "arcade" type places. I do seem to recall the boardwalk arcade in Myrtle Beach used tokens 1-2 years ago.

Now that you say that, this is more and more standard/common at those "arcade" type places. I do seem to recall the boardwalk arcade in Myrtle Beach used tokens 1-2 years ago.

The play cards do have some advantages. I remember once my kid was invited to a birthday party at CEC and every kid got an unlimited 3 hours of play from the first swipe. I think they could also pause the timer once or twice by swiping it at designated point, like when it's time to eat.

Back